China – it is the 4th largest country in the world. Now, China has one of the most powerful economies in the world. A lot of modern cities and harbors have grown in the last years and it is still growing. China attracts lots of travelers and visitors from all the world through the all year. And has much to offer. Historical places and buildings, archeological monuments, mountains, nature. China has a border with northern Vietnam and there are 3 main border crossings – in Lao Cai (40 km from a style=”color: #000000;” href=”https://north-vietnam.com/how-to-get-from-hanoi-to-sapa/”>Sapa) in the north and Mong Cai and Dong Dang (Lang Son) in the east. The most visited cities by travelers in China are Beijing, Shanghai, Lijiang, Kunming, Guilin, Xian, Shangri-La, Lhasa, Hong Kong.
Official languages: Standard Chinese
Area: Total 9,596,961 km²
Population: 2017 – estimate 1,400,000,000
Currency: Renminbi (yuan; ¥) (CNY)
Calling code: +86
Ethnic groups: 91.51% Han, 55 Minorities[c]
Government: Unitary one-party socialist republic
Time zone: China Standard Time (UTC+8)
The main travel route: From Hanoi to Nanning, From Hanoi to Kunming
Border crossing: Lao Cai > see map, Dong Dang > see map, Mong Cai > see map
Laos – it is also very interesting country for traveling in Southeast Asia, mainly for adventure travelers. It is not so visited as Vietnam or China, but has it is magic. Laos still has not yet modern cities but gradually slowly modernises and builds new buildings, hotels. Also the air links are a bit limited and transport is mainly provided by buses or private taxi companies. In 2017 the construction of the new railway link should start and will connect Laos with China, these cities in Laos – Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Luang Namtha on the north.
Official languages: Lao
Area: Total 237,955 km²
Population: 2017 – estimate 7,070,000
Currency: Kip (LAK)
Calling code: +856
Ethnic groups: 53.2% Lao, 11% Khmu, 9.2% Hmong, 3.4% Phouthay, 3.1% Tai…
Government: Unitary Marxist–Leninist one-party socialist republic
Time zone: ICT
The main travel route: Hanoi to Luang Prabang, Hanoi to Vientiane, Vang Vieng to Vientiane
Border crossing: Tây Trang > see map, Na Mèo > see map, Nậm Cắn > see map, Cau Treo > see map, Lao Bảo > see map, Bờ Y > see map
Cambodia – is officially known as the Kingdom of Cambodia. It can be very ease reached from the south of Vietnam. Lots of travelers in Vietnam are traveling also to Cambodia and arrive from the Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh (Moc Bai Bavet border crossing) by bus. You can also travel by boat on the Mekong river from Chau Doc in Vietnam to Phnom Penh. In 2017, there is only one rail link from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, but new rail links will be built in the near future according to reports. On of the most visited places in Cambodia is the world famous Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap. On the west part of Cambodia you can visit also some beach places and islands.
Capital: Phnom Penh
Official languages: Khmer
Area: Total 181,035 km²
Population: 2017 – estimate 16,000,000
Currency: Riel (KHR)
Calling code: +855
Ethnic groups: 97.6% Khmer, 1.2% Chams, 0.1% Vietnamese, 0.1% Chinese, 0.9% Other
Government: Unitary dominant-party parliamentary elective constitutional monarchy
Time zone: (UTC+7)
The main travel route: Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap
Border crossing: Moc Bai > see map, Le Thanh > see map, Tinh Bien > see map, Xa Xia / Ha Tien > see map, Vinh Xuong > see map
What is Baolau?
– Baolau sells the train, bus, ferry tickets, flights mainly for Vietnam (also a tickets for Cambodia and Laos)
– company offers also a tickets of the bus companies (Mai Linh, Hoang Long, Futabus, TheSinhTourist, Sapa Express…)
– company offers flights of Vietnamese Airlines, VietJet Air, JetStar, Air Asia as well as flights to neighbouring countries
– ferry tickets in Vietnam (eg. ferry to Cat Ba, ferry to Phnom Penh, ferry to Phu Quoc, ferry to Quan Lan…)
– online train e-ticket in your mobile phone or tablet in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– you can select a seat or berth/bed in the train
– certified company from Singapore – no cheaters and scammers (recommended)
– the price of tickets or flights is from the official price of transport company or airlines
– a final price you will see before making of payment transaction
– read other information about ticket in your order, read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
What is 12go.asia?
– 12go offers train, bus, ferry tickets, flights mainly for Thailand (also tickets for Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia
– from 2018 you can book train tickets for China online (Shenzhen to Guangzhou, Beijing to Shanghai, Shanghai to Suzhou..)
– ferry tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, eg. ferry to Vung Tau, Koh Rong, Koh Phangan, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Chang…
– you can not use online train ticket in Thailand, you have to print it (12go can deliver these train tickets in Thailand)
– if you buy train tickets in Thailand on 12go.asia, you have to pick them in the office: Bangkok (DOB building) or Chiang Mai (Bossotel)
– read more information about trains in Thailand
– you can use an online train ticket in Vietnam in your mobile phone (not in Thailand)
– if you buy a train ticket in Baolau or 12go for tourist trains in Vietnam to Sapa (Orient Express, Sapaly…), you must pick it up at the station
– information about 12go.asia read in article about transportation in Vietnam
Map of Vietnam and of the neighbouring countriesicon-angle-double-down
FAQ – Neighbouring countries of Vietnam and how to go there:
How to book tickets and flights from Vietnam to Laos, Cambodia, China?
What are the neighboring countries of Vietnam?
- Vietnam shares land borders with these three countries: Cambodia, Laos and China.
How to travel from Vietnam to Cambodia, Laos and China?
Is Vietnam close to China?
- Yes, Vietnam is close to China and shares the border of northern Vietnam with southern China. You can cross the border to China in Lao Cai, Ha Gian, Mong Cai or Dong Dang.
What is the most frequented border crossing in southern Vietnam?
- The most frequented border crossing in southern Vietnam is Bavet International border. You can travel by bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh via this border crossing.
Are there direct flights from Vietnam to neighbouring countries?
- Yes, there are various direct flights from Vietnam to Laos, Cambodia and China. The biggest airports in Vietnam are: Noi Bai Airport in Hanoi, Da Nang Airport and Tan Son Nhat Airport in Ho Chi Minh City.
Airports｜Train tickets｜Visa｜Transport｜Prices｜Weather｜Money｜Calling｜Maps｜Motorbike｜Beaches｜Ha Long Bay｜Sapa｜Da Nang｜MuiNe｜Nha Trang