icon-plane Flight to Ho Chi Minh Train to Ho Chi Minh Bus to Ho Chi Minh icon-ticket Book Tickets
- Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) are the biggest cities in Vietnam. A lot of travelers but also local people in Vietnam want to get from Saigon to Hanoi or from Hanoi to Saigon very fast. Ho Chi Minh City is also the most important transport hub in southern Vietnam. From Ho Chi Minh City you can also travel to Cambodia by bus or plane. It is good to travel by train from the north to the south, if you want to see the central coast of Vietnam or if you want to make a stopover in some big cities. Trains of Vietnam Railways stop in almost every city in central and southern Vietnam. There are 3 popular options how you can travel from Hanoi to Saigon – by train of VR, plane (direct flight) or tourist sleeper bus. Low-cost flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City start already on $25/pp (carry-on baggage 7kg, check-in baggage – extra with fees). And this is the most fastest and comfortable option of transfer.
- You can book train/bus tickets + flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh on Baolau or 12go.asia
From Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) by plane, train or bus.
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is about 1 700 kilometers by car or bus and 1 100 km by plane. The most fastest way of transport from Hanoi to Saigon is definitely to travel by plane. Direct flight from Hanoi to Saigon takes about 2 hours and sometimes these flights are very cheap. Low-cost flights to Saigon start already at $25-35/pp. But if you want to see Vietnam it is a good to travel by train of Vietnam Railways and visit also another places in central Vietnam. Trains are not so fast, but if you want to travel for the longer distances it is better to forget about traveling by bus. If you travel from the north to the central part of Vietnam, eg. to Dong Hoi, Da Nang…you should travel by train (sleeper cabin), tickets are cheap. Train tickets from Hanoi to Saigon cost about $24-85/pp (it depend what class of the train you will choose). From Saigon you can travel by bus to Can Tho and visit floating markets in Mekong Delta region. Book your train, bus tickets or direct flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) online.
How do I get from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
1. FLIGHT from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City icon-plane
- there are tens of flights every day from Hanoi to Saigon and from Saigon to Hanoi
- airlines from Hanoi to Saigon – Jetstar, Vietjet Air, Vietnam Airlines, Bamboo Airways
- flight time from Hanoi to Saigon is only about 2 hours (direct flight)
- low-cost flights to Saigon start already at $25-35/pp (one-way), find and book them at Baolau
- normal price of the one-way low-cost flight is about 1 000 000 – 6 000 000 viet.dongs ($50-300)
- airport in Hanoi – Noi Bai International Airport, airport in Ho Chi Minh City – Tan Son Nhat International Airport
- air transport is the fastest and most convenient option to transfer between Hanoi and Saigon
- Book and buy your flight from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City online on Baolau or 12go.asia
2. TRAIN from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
- trains in Vietnam is an interesting experience, but not so fast
- travel by train from Hanoi to Saigon can take about 32-37 hours!
- trains are comfortable and refurbished, you can buy foods and you can sleep (berth cabs)
- see the Vietnam Railway Map
- you will see the country, you can sleep in the coupe, 2, 4, 6-bed/berth cabin
- there are about 5-6 trains every day of Vietnam Railways from Hanoi to Saigon (Reunification Express train)
- also luxury tourist train Violette Train (2x higher price)
- one-way train ticket costs about 600 000 – 1 400 000 viet.dongs ($24-85/pp, depends on the type train, seats, berths…)
- train station in Hanoi – Hanoi Railway Station (120 Đường Lê Duẩn)
- train station in Ho Chi Minh City – Saigon Railway Station (01 Nguyen Thong)
- icon-angle-double-rightbook and buy train e-tickets to Ho Chi Minh City online on Baolau or 12go.asia
- this is a top travel route from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City – recommended – book and buy your train tickets online!
- you will receive your e-ticket to Saigon by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the train in Hanoi Railway Station
Schedule / timetable – Hanoi > Ho Chi Minh City (2020)icon-angle-double-down
Departures in Hanoi > SE1 – 22:20 ▶ SE3 (+Violette train) – 19:25 ▶ SE5 – 8:50 ▶ SE7 – 6:00 ▶ SE9 – 14:25
Schedule / timetable – Ho Chi Minh City > Hanoi (2020)icon-angle-double-down
Departures in Ho Chi Minh City > SE2 – 21:55 ▶ SE4 – 19:25 ▶ SE6 – 8:45 ▶ SE8 – 6:00 ▶ SE10 – 14:30
3. BUS from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
- yes, also buses run, the cheapest option of transport between these towns
- extremely long route – up to 38-45 hours! (do not recommended to use a bus)
- bus ticket price is about 600 000 – 900 000 viet.dongs ($25-40/pp)
- various companies – Hoang Long, Mai Linh and about 15 other smaller companies
- it is not very convenient way to travel for this long distance
- Book and buy bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City online on Baolau or 12go.asia
- you will receive your bus e-ticket to Saigon by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present at the ticket counter of the station before boarding or in the bus in Hanoi
Baolau – Search, book, buy tickets and flights online
– Baolau sells the train, bus, ferry e-tickets mainly for Vietnam (+ tickets for Cambodia and Laos)
– bus tickets of variou companies (Mai Linh, Hoang Long, Futabus, InterBus Lines, TheSinh Tourist…)
– flights of Vietnamese airlines, VietJet Air, Jetstar, Air Asia as well as flights to neighbouring countries
– ferry/boat in Vietnam (eg. ferry to Cat Ba, Con Dao to Saigon, ferry to Quan Lan, ferry to Phu Quoc, boats to Phnom Penh…)
– train or bus tickets for various travel routes in Vietnam (eg. Da Lat to Hoi An, Lao Cai to Hanoi, Saigon to Ha Long…)
– the price of tickets or flights is from the official price of transport company or airlines
– you can use online train e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– you can choose your seat or sleeper berth in the train online
– read in the order any other information about ticket, read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
12go – Search, book, buy tickets and flights online
– 12go.asia sells the train, bus, ferry e-tickets mainly to Thailand (also tickets for Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia)
– from 2018 you can book train tickets for China online (Beijing to Shanghai, Beijing to Xian, Shanghai to Suzhou..)
– ferry/boat tickets in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, eg. ferry to Vung Tau, Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Koh Samui, Koh Tao…
– train tickets for the most frequented routes in Thailand – Bangkok > Krabi, Bangkok > Chiang Mai, Bangkok > Hua Hin..
– you can not use an online train e-ticket in Thailand, you have to print it (12go can deliver these train tickets in Thailand)
– if you order a ticket of private trains in Vietnam to Sapa on 12go.asia or Baolau (Orient Express, Sapaly…), you must pick it up at the station
– you can use an online train ticket in Vietnam and choose your seat or berth (not in Thailand)
– information about 12go.asia read in article about transportation in Vietnam
– if you buy train tickets in Thailand on 12go.asia, you have to pick them in the office: Bangkok (DOB building) or Chiang Mai (Bossotel)
– more information about train tickets and trains in Thailand
icon-info-circle Travel route from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City – Tips + Faqsicon-angle-double-down
How long does it take from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
- Travel by plane (direct flights) from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) takes about 2 hours.
- Travel by train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) takes about 32-37 hours.
- Travel by tourist bus from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) takes about 38-45 hours.
What is the travel distance from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) is about 1750 km by train/bus and about 1300 km by plane.
How much does it cost to travel from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
- Travel by plane (direct flights) from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) costs about $25-300/pp.
- Travel by train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) costs about $24-85/pp.
- Travel by tourist bus from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) costs about $25-40/pp.
What is the best way of transport from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
- If you want to skip central Vietnam and you want to get directly to Ho Chi Minh City, the best way how to get there is definitely to use a direct flight from Hanoi, 2 hours takes one-way flight to Saigon. There are a lot of direct flights (+low-cost flights) from Hanoi to Saigon every day.
What is the most cheapest way of transport from Hanoi to Saigon?
- The most cheapest way of transport from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is to travel by train – but it is a hard seat – and you really do not want to spend about 34 hours on this type of seat. Low-cost direct flight from Hanoi to Saigon start already at $25-35 (carry-on baggage 7 kg) , so think about direct flight.
Travel by bus from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, it is a good idea?
- In my opinion it is not a good idea for this long journey to travel by sleeper bus from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. It could be a good idea only if you have a time and want to move slowly in Vietnam and you are planning to visit also another places, e.g. Hanoi > Ninh Binh, Ninh Binh > Vinh…
Is an train e-ticket in your smartphone acceptable?
- Yes, if you book train e-ticket online, keep this e-ticket in your smarphone and board the train. Read carefully the instructions on Baolau/12go.asia before and after you book your ticket. It is recommended – print your tickets.
Which airport is closest to Ho Chi Minh City?
- The closest international airport to Ho Chi Minh City is: Tan Son Nhat International Airport. There are various buses and taxi companies if you want to go to the city center of Ho Chi Minh City from the airport.
It is possible to travel on motorbike from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh?
- Yes it is possible, but it is a good way of transport only if you can skip the highways. It is recommended only for the experienced motorbike drivers, drive carefully and slowly, roads in Vietnam are dangerous and unpredictable. You have to own your international driving licence, if you do not have your IDP do not drive on motorbike in Vietnam.
Where to book and buy tickets from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
Where to go from Ho Chi Minh City? What to visit?
How to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh in Cambodia?
- Lots of tourists travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Cambodia, the major travel route is Ho Chi Minh City > Phnom Penh. There are various buses, vans or minivans or direct flights to Phnom Penh, there is no train from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh. Read this story: How toget from Saigon to Phnom Penh?
Train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City – Schedule / Timetable + Train Ticketsicon-angle-double-down
Train Schedule - Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Departs in Hanoi
Arrival in Ho Chi Minh
Train SE1 (soft seat, sleeper)
05:45 (31h 25m)
Train SE3 (soft seat, sleeper)
04:38 (33h 13m)
Train SE5 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
18:55 (34h 05m)
Train SE7 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
16:30 (34h 30m)
Train SE9 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
03:25 (37h 00m)
Train SE11 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
21:05 (37h 05m)
Violette Trains SE1 (sleeper)
05:45 (31h 25m)
Violette Trains SE3 (sleeper)
04:38 (33h 13m)
Train from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi – Schedule / Timetable + Train Ticketsicon-angle-double-down
Train Schedule - Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi
Departs in Ho Chi Minh
Arrival in Hanoi
Train SE2 (soft seat, sleeper)
05:30 (31h 35m)
Train SE8 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
15:54 (33h 54m)
Train SE4 (soft, sleeper)
04:48 (33h 23m)
Train SE6 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
19:12 (34h 27m)
Train SE12 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
21:12 (37h 17m)
Train SE10 (soft+hard seat, sleeper)
03:08 (36h 38m)
icon-arrow-circle-right Book your train, bus, flight from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City + Scheduleicon-angle-double-down
(You can change your departure, arrival… Hanoi to Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi…)
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: