From Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai you can travel by bus, train+bus or motorbike.
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai is about 300 km. There are some sleeper buses from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai (Bến xe khách Mù Cang Chải) and travel by bus can take about 7 hours. Bus ticket from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai costs about $8-14/pp. You can also travel by train from Hanoi to Yen Bai and in Yen Bai you can travel by local bus to Mu Cang Chai (via Nghia Lo). Another option is to travel by train+bus via Yen Bai city. Train tickets from Hanoi to Yen Bai area cheap and start already at $4 (hard seat). From Yen Bai city you have to travel by local bus to Mu Cang Chai. There is also a possibility to travel by van/minivan from Hanoi to Tu Le. In Tu Le you can see and visit Khau Pha Pass. Mu Cang Chai and Yen Bai have no airports. You can book and buy bus tickets to Mu Cang Chai, private minivan / car to Tu Le and train tickets from Hanoi to Yen Bai town easily online.
- Book and buy bus tickets from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai online
- Mu Cang Chai – this is one of the most impressive places in Yen Bai province. One of the most beautiful and largest rice terraces and beautiful nature of northern Vietnam from Tu Le to Mu Cang Chai. The whole area at Mu Cang Chai is a home to a predominantly ethnic Hmong group. However, it is not so easy to travel there unless you have a motorbike or your private carrier. It is a hilly to mountainous area, so some of the roads are a little less navigable and there may be landslides in the monsoon season. From Mu Cang Chai you can travel to Sapa in Lao Cai province. There are 3 ways how you can reach Mu Cang Chai from Hanoi – by seat or sleeper tourist bus / minivan, train + bus via Yen Bai town or travel on motorbike (IDP in Vietnam is necessary).
How do I get from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai?
1. BUS from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai
- there are some tourist sleeper buses from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai
- travel by sleeper bus from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai takes about 7 hours
- travel distance from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai by bus is about 300 km
- one-way bus ticket from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai cost about $8-14
- bus company from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai: Cuong Lan
- bus arrives to Bến xe khách Mù Cang Chải (Bus Station Mu Cang Chai)
- You can book bus tickets from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai on Baolau icon-external-link-square or 12go.asia icon-external-link-square
2. TRAIN + BUS from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai
A) TRAIN from Hanoi to Yen Bai
- travel by train from Hanoi to Yen Bai takes about 4-4,5 hours
- there are about 3-4 trains every day of Vietnam Railways from Hanoi to Yen Bai
- a cheapest way how to get from Hanoi to Yen Bai
- one-way cheap train ticket costs about $4-10 – hard seat, soft seat, soft sleeper (4 berth)
- railway station in Yen Bai – Yen Bai Railway Station (218 Trần Hưng Đạo)
- Yook and buy train e-tickets from Hanoi to Yen Bai on Baolau icon-external-link-square or 12go.asia icon-external-link-square
- this is a top travel route in northern Vietnam – recommended – book your train tickets online!
- you will receive your e-ticket by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the train
B) Bus from Yen Bai town to Mu Cang Chai
- there are some local buses from Yen Bai to Mu Cang Chai
- buses stop also in Nghia Lo
- travel distance from Yen Bai town to Mu Cang Chai is about 170 km
- travel by bus from Yen Bai town to Mu Cang Chai takes about 5 hours
- for the exact times you need to ask at the bus station in Yen Bai
3. PRIVATE MINIVAN from Hanoi to Tu Le
- Tu Le (Tú Lệ) is about 45 km from Mu Cang Chai town
- in this place starts amazing Khau Pha Pass
- from Hanoi you can travel to Tu Le by comfortable van/minivan
- travel distance from Hanoi to Tu Le is about 250 km
- travel by van/minivan from Hanoi to Tu Le takes about 6 hours
- private minivan for 9 passengers costs about $136 (vehicle)
- Book your private minivan from Hanoi to Tu Le online on 12go.asia icon-external-link-square
4. TRAVEL BY MOTORBIKE to Mu Cang Chai
- a good way only for the experienced drivers
- it is about 300 km, so it can takes about 2 days of traveling by motorbike
- there are lots of motorbike rentals in Hanoi (1 day costs about $7-15/pp)
- Search and book your motorbike in Hanoi online on Bikesbooking
icon-map-marker Yen Bai province – tourist map:
Baolau – search, book and buy tickets online
– search+book train, bus, ferry tickets mainly for Vietnam (also a tickets for Cambodia and Laos, Thailand…)
– flights of Vietnamese airlines, VietJet Air, JetStar, Air Asia as well as flights to neighbouring countries
– ferry tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, eg. ferry to Cat Ba, ferry to Phu Quoc, ferry to Nam Du, ferry to Phnom Penh…
– tickets for travel routes in Vietnam eg. Lao Cai to Hanoi, Da Nang to Ninh Binh, Da Lat to Hanoi…
– you can use online train e-ticket in mobile phone in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– the price of tickets or flights is from the official price of transport company or airlines
– read other information about ticket in your order, read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
12go.asia – search, book and buy tickets online
– search+book train, bus, ferry tickets mainly to Thailand (also tickets for Vietnam, Laos, China, Cambodia, Malaysia)
– ferry tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, eg. ferry to Vung Tau, Koh Lanta, Koh Rong Koh Phi Phi, Koh Chang…
– train tickets for the most frequented routes in Thailand – Bangkok > Chiang Mai, Bangkok > Krabi, Bangkok > Hua Hin…
– from 2018 you can book train tickets for China online (Beijing to Shanghai, Shanghai to Suzhou, Shanghai to Hangzhou..)
– you can use an online train ticket in Vietnam in your smartphone (not in Thailand)
– if you book train ticket in Baolau or 12go for tourist trains in Vietnam to Sapa (King Express, Sapaly…), you must pick it up at the station
– if you buy train tickets for Thailand over 12go.asia, you have to pick them in the office: Bangkok (DOB building) or Chiang Mai (Bossotel)
– 12go can deliver these train tickets in Thailand, more information about train travel and trains in Thailand
icon-info-circle FAQ + Travel Tips – Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai (+Tu Le):
1️⃣ How to book and buy tickets from Hanoi to Yen Bai/Mu Cang Chai?
2️⃣ How long does it take from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai?
- Travel by bus/minivan from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai takes about 7-8 hours.
- Travel by train+bus from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai (over Yen Bai) takes about 9-10 hours.
- Travel by van/minivan from Hanoi to Tu Le takes about 6 hours.
3️⃣ How much does it cost to travel from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai?
- Travel by bus/minivan from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai costs about $8-14/pp.
- Travel by train+bus from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai costs about $10-20/pp.
- Travel by van/minivan from Hanoi to Tu Le costs about $136 (vehicle).
4️⃣ What is the travel distance from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai?
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai is about 280-300 km by train+bus/bus/minivan.
5️⃣ Is it possible to travel by train directly from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai?
- No, there is no railway station in Mu Cang Chai, you can travel by train only to Yen Bai town.
Where do you keep your luggage in Hanoi?
- If you want to keep your luggage in Hanoi you can try Radical Storage service. This service offers a few places in the city center of Hanoi, it is a cheap and your luggage will be safe.
Where to stay in Mu Cang Chai?
- You can stay in the town of Mu Cang chai, there are some cheap guesthouses or homestays and also restaurants.
Is it possible to travel from Mu Cang Chai to Sapa?
- Yes, it is possible to travel by bus from Mu Cang Chai to Sapa. For the exact times of departures you have to ask at the hotel. It is good to know, the bus connections in Mu Cang Chai are limited.
Is there a flight from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai?
- No, there is no flight, it is not possible to travel by plane because there is no airport in Mu Cang Chai.
Is there a railway station in Mu Cang Chai?
- No, there is no railway station in Mu Cang Chai or Tu Le, the closest railway station is in Yen Bai town.
Train from Hanoi to Yen Bai – Schedule / Timetable / Train Tickets:
Train Schedule - Hanoi to Yen Bai
Departs in Hanoi
Arrival in Yen Bai
Book train ticket
Train YB3 (seat)
Train SP1 (seat, sleeper)
Train SP3 (sleeper)
icon-arrow-circle-right Book tickets from Hanoi to Yen Bai (Mu Cang Chai) + Schedule:
(You can also change your travel route, e.g. Hanoi > Yen Bai, Hanoi > Ha Giang…)