From Hanoi to Halong Bay by bus, van, train, plane or private taxi.
- Halong Bay is written in UNESCO and it is one of the most visited places by foreign tourists in Vietnam and also in the world. Thousands of tourists visit Halong Bay every day. Travel distance from Hanoi to Halong Bay is about 180 km by land from Hanoi. How long does it take from Hanoi to Halong Bay? Travel by bus to Ha Long takes about 3,5-4,5 hours. You can travel by direct bus/shuttle bus to Ha Long or by train from Hanoi to Hai Phong (40 km from the town of Ha Long). From Hai Phong you can travel by ferry to the Cat Ba Island. There are also some private taxi companies (cars, minibuses and minivans) operated on this route and bus tickets of this companies are cheap. Book and buy your bus or train e-tickets from Hanoi to Ha Long/Hai Phong online on Baolau or 12go.asia.
Bus tickets from Hanoi to Halong Bay start already at $5/pp.
- Transportation in Vietnam is not so expensive and you can book and buy bus tickets online from Hanoi to Ha Long, prices start already at $5. There are various bus companies on this route and they offer modern tourist buses or private luxury minivans for groups (eg. for 6-9-12 passengers). If you are looking for comfort – try these luxury minivans or shuttle buses. Train tickets from Hanoi to Hai Phong are also very cheap and start at $3. Transfer from Hanoi to Halong Bay is very easy but you should know from which place you want to start explore this large area. You can book your cheap bus or train tickets very easily online. If you want to travel to Cat Ba Island, it is better to book bus tickets from Hanoi to Cat Ba, it does not make a sense to stop in Ha Long town or Tuan Chau.
How do you get from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
1. BUS from Hanoi to Ha Long
- there are lots of various modern buses from Hanoi to Ha Long (or Tuan Chau, Bai Chay, Cat Ba…)
- there are also luxury and very comfortable minivans,vans,limousines or shuttle buses
- travel by bus takes about 2,5-4,5 hours from Hanoi to Halong Bay
- bus tickets from Hanoi to Halong Bay costs about $5-23/pp, depends on the type of the bus
- bus stations in Hanoi – buses depart from various bus stations (check Baolau and 12go.asia)
- bus station in Ha Long – buses arrive to various bus stations (Bai Chay, Tuan Chau…check Baolau and 12go.asia)
- Book and buy bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Ha Long online on Baolau or 12go.asia
- bus companies: Phuc Xuyen, Kumho Viet Thanh, Hung Duc, GreenLion, Grouptour, TheSinh Tourist…
- you will receive your e-ticket to Ha Long by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present at the ticket counter of the station before boarding the bus, read the all information before you book your ticket
Phuc Xuyen bus/limousine – buses depart form Hai Ba Trung or My Dinh bus station. There are modern seat buses or luxury comfortable vans, limousines and tickets cost about $6-12. The limousine is the fastest way how to travel.
Kumho Viet Thanh bus – seat buses depart from My Dinh bus station and bus tickets cost only about $5, it is the one of the most cheapest bus. Travel time is about 3.5 hours.
2. TRAIN or BUS from Hanoi to Hai Phong +
- the end station is Hai Phong City (about 40 km from Ha Long)
- from the city of Hai Phong you can take a ferry to the island of Cat Ba
- this route takes about 2.5 hours by train and 1.5 hours by bus
- trains are comfortable and refurbished, of course snack+food
- see and download railway map of Vietnam
- there are a few trains every day between these towns (Vietnam Railways)
- the one-way train or bus ticket from Hanoi to Hai Phong costs about $3-6
- Train station in Hanoi – Gia Lam Railway Station (481 Ngọc Lâm) or Hanoi Railway Station (120 Le Duan)
- Train station in Hai Phong – Hai Phong Railway station (75 Lương Khánh Thiện)
- Bus station in Hai Phong – Niem Nghia Bus station (275 Trần Nguyên Hãn)
- it is a good way of transport only if you want to visit Hai Phong City
- Book and buy train or bus e-tickets to Hai Phong online on Baolau or 12go.asia
- you will receive your e-ticket to Hai Phong by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the train/bus in Hanoi
Hai Hau bus – seat buses depart from Gia Lam bus station and bus tickets are cheap, cost only about $4-5.
Hoang Long bus – come to ticket boot of Hoang Long (Hanoi Nuoc Ngam Station, 2nd floor) and present your voucher to change for bus ticket. PLEASE ARRIVE AT THE STATION AT LEAST 1 HOUR (60 MINUTES) BEFORE DEPARTURE TIME BECAUSE HOANG LONG MAY CHANGE DEPARTURE TIME AND WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MISS THE BUS IF YOU ARRIVE LATE AFTER THIS (more info on 12go.asia).
Train of Vietnam Railways – it is the most cheapest way how to get to Hai Phong.
3. VAN or Private TAXI from Hanoi to Ha Long +
- from Hanoi to Ha Long you can also travel by van/minivan/shuttle bus or private taxi
- the most comfortable way of transfer between Hanoi and Ha Long
- various companies: Luxury Transport, Phuc Xuyen, Greenlion Bus, Rosa Eco Bus, Dichung Taxi, Ninh Quynh…
- luxury vans (up to 9-12 passengers), private luxury vehicles – the most comfortable way how to get to Ha Long
- tickets for van cost already only about $7-10, private taxi to Ha Long cost about $80-150 (depends on the vehicle)
- Book and buy tickets for private vans or taxi to Ha Long online on Baolau or 12go.asia
- vans or minivans arrive to Ha Long City, Tuan Chau or Cat Ba Island…
- read carefully the all information before you book your tickets or book your private taxi to Ha Long
4. BUS from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island
- the fastest way how to get directly from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island
- Cat Ba Island is the largest and most visited island in Halong Bay
- it takes about 3,5-5 hours from Hanoi to Cat Ba by bus (depends on the company)
- bus companies to Cat Ba: Cat Ba Express, Inter Bus Lines, Grouptour, Daichi Trave, Grouptour…
- bus ticket price is only about $9-16 (seats or comfortable berths, depends on the company)
- there is a boat transfer between Hai Phong and Cat Ba Island
- Book and buy bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island on Baolau or 12go.asia
- you will receive your bus e-ticket to Cat Ba Island by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the tourist bus in Hanoi City
5. TRAIN from Hanoi to Ha Long
- there is also a regular train from Hanoi to Ha Long
- it is very cheap, but travel by train takes about 7 hours (train goes over Kép Railway Station)
- one-way train ticket from Hanoi to Ha Long costs about 70 000 – 100 000 viet.dongs ($3-4, hard seat)
- train station in Hanoi – Yen Vien (about 10 km from Hoan Kiem city center)
- train station in Ha Long – Ha Long
- in the near future, there should be build a direct train connection between Hanoi and Ha Long
- Book and buy train e-tickets from Hanoi to Ha Long online on Baolau
6. SPEEDBOAT from Hai Phong to Cat Ba Island
- speedboat from Hai Phong goes directly to the south part of the Cat Ba Island, to the town of Cat Ba
- this route takes about 1 hour, boats from the Pha Binh Port in Hai Phong
- the one-way boat/ferry ticket price is about 180 000 – 260 000 viet.dongs ($12-14)
- Pha Binh Port is only about 2 km from Hai Phong Railway Station
- Book and buy boat tickets from Hai Phong to Cat Ba Island online on Baolau
7. Travel on motorbike to Halong Bay
- you can rent a motorbike in Hanoi and travel on your own
- it is a good option only if you are an experienced motorbike driver and you have your IDP
- there are various types of motorbikes for rent in Hanoi
- Search and book your motorbike in Vietnam with Bikesbooking
8. Book a tour to Halong Bay / Lan Ha Bay
- you can also book a tour to Halong Bay, Cat Ba, Bai Chay…
- you can choose from various tours and several days trips to Halong Bay
- a good option if you want to save your time and enjoy your holiday
- Search and book your tour to Halong Bay with Tourradar
9. FLIGHT from Hanoi to Ha Long (Seaplane) icon-plane
- several direct flights from Hanoi to Ha Long (Tuan Chau Island) are operated by Hai Au Aviation
- there was also opened a new Van Don International Airport in December, 2018
- location of this new airport is about 50 km from Ha Long (at the Cai Rong town, see map)
- you can also fly by helicopter to Halong Bay (helicopter is operated by Vietnam Helicopter Tours)
icon-map-marker Halong Bay / Cat Ba Island – Travel Map:
icon-info-circle Travel route from Hanoi to Halong Bay – Faqs + Tipsicon-angle-double-down
How long does it take from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
- Travel by bus/minivan/taxi from Hanoi to Halong Bay takes about 3-4,5 hours.
- Travel by train+bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay (via Hai Phong) takes about 4-5 hours.
- Travel by plane (Hai Au Aviation) from Hanoi to Tuan Chau Island takes about 1 hour.
- Travel by train from Hanoi to Ha Long (via Kep Railway Station) takes about 7 hours.
How much does it cost to travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
- Travel by bus/minivan from Hanoi to Halong Bay costs about $5-23/pp.
- Travel by train+bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay (via Hai Phong) costs about $5-12/pp.
- Travel by plane (Hai Au Aviation) from Hanoi to Tuan Chau Island costs about $30-110/pp.
- Travel by train from Hanoi to Ha Long (via Kep Railway Station) costs about $3.50/pp.
What is the travel distance from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Halong Bay is about 180-200 km by train+bus/bus/minivan.
Which airport is closest to Halong Bay?
- The closest international airports to Halong Bay are: Cat Bai International Airport (Hai Phong, about 40 km west of Ha Long), Van Don International Airport (about 65 km east of Ha Long in Cai Rong).
Can you fly from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
How long should I stay in Halong Bay?
- Halong Bay is a very large area. It depends what you want to visit, how long do you want to relax on the boat… You should stay in Halong Bay about 3-5 days if you want to see also some islands nearby, eg. Cat Ba Island. But teoretically you can stay there also about 1 week.
Is there a train from Hanoi Halong Bay?
- There is a regular train from Hanoi to Hai Phong, it is about 50 km from Ha Long City. You can also travel by train to Ha Long town, but this train goes over Kép Railway Station (north-east of Hanoi) and then to Ha Long, it takes about 7 hours from Hanoi to Ha Long by train (over Kép Railway Station).
What is the best time to visit Halong Bay?
- The best time to visit Halong Bay is in the spring or you can choose autumn. The best months should be – March, April, May, September, October. You should know – there are a lot of vietnamese visitors in the summer and it is a monsoon season. If you want to swim it is bettter to skip winter months.
From which bus stations in Hanoi buses to Halong Bay depart?
- The buses from Hanoi to Halong Bay depart from various bus stations. There are a lot of private bus companies you have to check Baolau or 12go.asia and you can see there updated bus schedule.
One day tour from Hanoi to Halong Bay? Yes or not?
- You can buy various 1-day tours to Halong Bay from Hanoi, but in my opinion it is very limited and it does not make a sense to stay there only 1 day in this large place. 3-4 days are optimal.
How and where to book a tour to Halong Bay?
- You can search and book a tour to Halong Bay at Tourradar. One of the biggest leaders for tours in Vietnam.
How to get from Ha Long town to Van Don (Cai Rong)?
- From Ha Long town to Van Don (Cai Rong) you can travel by local public bus from Bai Chay bus station in Ha Long. It costs about 40 000 VND by bus from Ha Long to Van Don (it can change). From Cai Rong (Bến khách Cái Rồng) port you can travel by boat/ferry to Quan Lan Island and Co To Island.
Where and how to book and buy tickets from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
What is the best way of transport from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
- Almost all the buses but also vans/minivans are very comfortable, a lot of them are modern, luxury and bus tickets from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay are cheap. But it is good to know, some bus drivers drive very fast.
What is the most cheapest way of transport from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
- The most cheapest way of getting to Ha Long City from Hanoi is to travel by train, train tickets costs about $3.50, but it takes about 7 hours (over Kep Railway Station). Another cheap and fast way is to travel by bus, bus ticket to Ha Long start at $5.00. If you can – choose bus, you will save a lot of time.
Is it possible to travel by motorbike from Hanoi to Halong Bay?
- Yes, you can also travel by motorbike from Hanoi to Ha Long, but this way of transport is good only for the experienced motorbike drivers. Traffic on this travel route is very dense. You must have an International Driving License. You can book your motorbike with Bikesbooking.
Where to travel from Halong Bay?
- From Halong Bay or Ha Long town you can travel by bus to Tam Coc. Travel by bus or minivan from Ha Long to Tam Coc takes about 3-4.5 hours. Tam Coc is a tourist site and amazing karst scenery in Ninh Binh, about 180 km from Ha Long.
Looking for cruise/boat in Halong Bay? Carefully consider a selection.
You can try a lot of various boat cruises in Halong Bay, but not all of them are well rated. Lets take a look at these best rated and reviewed cruises in Halong Bay, read the reviews of these boats. You can book your boat/cruise easily online.
The best rated cruises in Halong Bay: Belezza Cruise ➡ Bhaya Classic Cruise ➡ The Au Co Cruise ➡ Pelican Halong Cruise ➡ Royal Palace Cruise ➡ Halong Silversea Cruise ➡ Alica Cruise ➡ Aphrodite Cruises ➡ Syrena Cruises ➡ Paradise Luxury Cruise ➡ Emeraude Classic Cruises
icon-arrow-circle-right Book your bus/train tickets from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay/Hai Phongicon-angle-double-down
You can also book and buy ferry or bus tickets from Hai Phong to Cat Ba Island or Hanoi to Tuan Chau.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: