Vietnam has upgraded trains and railway system in the last years.
Vietnam has a large coverage of railway stations, but a lots of interesting places are accesible only by bus or private taxi. If you look at the map, you will see that the less covered is the large part of northern Vietnam and the southernmost part of southern Vietnam. We can expected that other railway stations will grow in the upcoming years or they will be renovated.
Are there trains in Vietnam?
- Yes, there are various trains in Vietnam. There are typical regular trains of Vietnam Railways and also private tourist trains (luxury sleeper trains). There are hard or soft seats or sleeper berth (2,4 or 6 berth cabins). These tourist sleeper trains are added to the regular trains of Vietnam Railways (SE1, SE3, SE7, SE9, SE11, SE17…).
How to book and buy train tickets for Vietnam?
Is there a train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
- Yes, there is a train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. Travel by train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City takes about 32-36 hours. There are also tourist trains – Violette Trains, New Livitrans Express, Lotus Train, Laman Express (from Hanoi to Da Nang) and Livitrans Express, Violette Trains, Saigon Golden Train (from Da Nang to Saigon). There are about 6 regular trains of Vietnam Railways from Hanoi to Saigon every day.
How do I get from Hanoi to Hoi An by train?
- The only way how to get by train from Hanoi to Hoi An is to travel by train to Da Nang and from Da Nang you can travel by bus or van/minivan/taxi to Hoi An. Travel by train from Hanoi to Da Nang takes about 17 hours.
Can you take a train from Thailand to Vietnam?
- No, it is not possible to travel by train from Thailand to Vietnam. There is no direct train between these countries.
Is there a train from Vietnam to Laos or Cambodia?
- No, there is no railway from Vietnam to Laos and Cambodia, it is not possible to travel by train to these countries. You can travel by plane (various direct flights) or tourist bus from Vietnam to Laos and Cambodia.
Is there a train from Vietnam to China?
- There is a popoular railway route from Hanoi to Nanning. This route is operated by Vietnam Railways + China Railways. Travel by train from Hanoi to Nanning via Lang Son (Dong Dang border) takes about 12 hours.
Vietnam Railway Map / Network (2021) – Click on the picture for the high resolution icon-angle-double-down
icon-map-marker Vietnam Railway map/network:
The most important railway stations for travellers and tourists > Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Dong Dang, Hanoi, Hai Phong, Ha Long, Ninh Binh, Thanh Hoa, Vinh, Dong Hoi, Hue, Da Nang, Quy Nhon, Nha Trang, Phan Thiet, Ho Chi Minh City.
The most frequented railway routes in Vietnam:
Northern Vietnam – Hanoi to Sapa (Lao Cai) > Lao Cai to Hanoi > Hanoi to Ninh Binh > Lang Son to Hanoi
Central/Southern Vietnam > Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh > Da Nang to Nha Trang > Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang.
Some small and not so important railway stations in Vietnam are not marked on this Google map. Red circle – the main and bigger railway stations (tourist places). Map was updated in December 2020.
icon-angle-double-rightIn the near future, there are plans to build a new high-speed railway route in the south of Vietnam. Vietnam to Build 139km High-Speed Railway From Saigon to Can Tho. Once the high-speed railway is finished, it will only take 45 minutes to travel from Saigon to Can Tho. Read full story about this railway project in southern Vietnam.
icon-angle-double-rightThere is also a plan to build a new railway route from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau (more information).