Lung Cu Flag Tower in Dong Van district is the northernmost place of Vietnam.
- One of the most beautiful provinces in the north of Vietnam – Ha Giang, here in the Dong Van district (Lũng Cú commune) lies the northernmost place of Vietnam – the Lung Cu Flag Tower (Lung Cu Flagpole). It is a 33m high tower with a 54m² flag and this size represents the number of ethnic groups in Vietnam. Approximately 5 km north of this tower you will see the Nho Que river, which continues to Ma Pi Leng Pass.
- A large number of travelers, mostly on motorbikes, come there from Dong Van town, about 25 km away. Dong Van is a good base for those who want to explore the north of Vietnam a bit more. The whole area around Lung Cu is a place of ethnic minorities, Mong and Lo Lo, several ethnic villages but also beautiful mountain sceneries of Dong Van Karst Global Geopark. Dong Van Geopark is one of the most fascinating sites of Vietnam.
Lung Cu Flag Tower is not just a tower with a flag, but also a history place.
- Near this tower is Lo Lo Chai village and 2 small lakes. Some people of the ethnic minority Lo Lo claim that the history of the tower’s name dates back to the end of the 17th century. Lung Cu means something like “King’s Drum”. In 1798, after a great victory against the northern invaders, Emperor Quang Trung ordered a giant bronze drum at the top of the mountain.
- Every two hours, the soldiers struck three drum beats to assert the territorial integrity of the country. According to the legend of the Lo Lo ethnic minority, 2 lakes at the tower are the eyes of the sacred dragon, he left them behind after his death. One belonged to the Mong group and the other was of Lo Lo ethnic group.
How to get to the Lung Cu Flag Tower? You can travel by motorbike/mototaxi.
- Lung Cu Flag Tower is very far from Hanoi, about 460 km. First you have to travel to Ha Giang town (there are buses from Hanoi to Ha Giang) and in Ha Giang town you can take a local bus to Dong Van town, it is about 160 km from Ha Giang to Dong Van. In Dong Van you can travel by motorbike/mototaxi to Lung Cu, see map below the article.
- From Dong Van to Lung Cu Flag Tower – it is about 25 km, nice scenic and good road, it is very easy to get there, use your Google map. The best way, if you can, is to travel in Ha Giang province by motorbike and it is also good to know, only if you are an experienced driver. If you can skip the rainy and foggy weather. There may be landslides in the monsoon season.
Book your bus ticket from Hanoi to Ha Giang online + Schedule:
(you can change your departure, arrival, date, eg. Hanoi to Lao Cai, Ha Giang to Hanoi…)
What to see and visit at the Lung Cu Flag Tower and Lung Cu village?
- On the way to Lung Cu you will be traveling in the Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark, so you will see very nice mountain scenery, ethnic villages, nature, but also the border with China. There are virtually no other tourist attractions at the Lung Cu Flag Tower, except this tower. You can visit the surrounding villages where the ethnic residents of Lo Lo and Mong live, and even in the village you can also find some accommodation, there are some authentic homestays of local residents, adapted for foreign tourists.
- For example Lo Lo Chai village and Café Cuc Bac. It is a remote area, yet without much intervention by mass tourism, but in the near future it can change. Both services and food are still limited there. On the way from Dong Van to Lung Cu you also have the opportunity to visit the sunday ethnic market near the village of Ma Le.
What is the best time to visit the Lung Cu Flag Tower? And what about the weather?
- You can visit the Lung Cu Flag Tower all year round. However, this is true also for other mountain sites in Ha Giang Province, if you can avoid a lot of rainy and foggy days, rainy days are mainly in the monsoon season – summer months. In the winter – dry season (December – February) it may be very cold in the area and it is also good to take some warm clothes. The best time to visit Lung Cu Flag Tower could be the autumn months.
Where to stay and find some accommodation in Dong Van and Lung Cu?
- The best option is to stay in Dong Van town, there are various cheap hotels, guesthouses or hostels. Dong Van is a good starting point for exploring Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark. You can also find some accommodation (mainly local ethnic homestays) in Lung Cu.
Accommodation in Dong Van: Hoang Ngoc Hotel ▶ Binh Minh Hostel ▶ Huyen Tram Guesthouse ▶ Ly Hoan Guesthouse ▶ Dong Van B&B ▶ Lam Tung Hotel ▶ Gia Linh Motel
Accommodation in Lung Cu: The Lover Lo Lo Chai ▶ Homie Homestay ▶ Sister’s House
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Lung Cu Flag Tower in Ha Giang:
How to travel and get from Hanoi to Ha Giang?
How to get from Ha Giang to Dong Van + Lung Cu?
- The best way to start a trip to Lung Cu Flag Tower is to travel from Dong Van town. Dong Van is about 25 km from Lung Cu. From Ha Giang to Dong Van you can travel by motorbike or you can travel by local bus. From Dong Van to Lung Cu you can travel by motorbike/mototaxi, the road is very good and you will some very nice sceneries.
How much is the ticket to the Lung Cu Flag Tower?
- The entrance to the Lung Cu Flag Tower is approximately 50 000 VND (can change).
What is the altitude of the Lung Cu Flag Tower and where is located?
- Lung Cu Flag Tower is located on the Dragon Mountain (Long Son), about 1,700 m above sea level.
What to prepare and what to watch out in Lung Cu Flag Tower?
- In the winter, this area can be very cold, so get warmer clothes. It is better if you skip the rainy and foggy weather. It is a frontier zone so watch out where you are going, some border points are marked. You have to buy a permitt in Ha Giang town for traveling in this province.
Is it possible to buy some snacks and food at the Lung Cu Flag Tower?
- You can buy there some food and drink at the nearby village, also some tourist souvenirs, but it’s limited. However, I do not exclude that some new shops and restaurants will grow in the near future. There is also Cafe Cuc Bac where you can buy some coffee.
Where is Lung Cu Flag Tower and Lo Lo Chai Village?
- Lung Cu Flag Tower is about 25 km from Dong Van and about 160 km from Ha Giang town. Lung Cu is a part of the Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark, one of the most amazing mountain sites in the north of Vietnam. Lo Lo Chai Village is only about 2 km from Lung Cu village.
Is there a Wi-fi at the Lung Cu Flag Tower?
- Yes, there is a free wi-fi point at the Lung Cu Flag Tower.
What else you can also visit on the route to Lung Cu?
- If you are traveling to Lung Cu Flag Tower, you can also visit The Palace of Hmong Kings in Sá Phin village. Travel distance is about 30 km from Lung Cu to The Palace of Hmong Kings.
Lung Cu Flag Tower ( Cột Cờ Lũng Cú) – Information:
- Location: Đồng Văn District (Ha Giang province) – Vietnam
- How far is it: About 25 km from Dong Van town, 460 km from Hanoi
- Ticket/Admission: About 50 000 VND
- Tourist attraction: Flag tower, homestay, nature, mountains
- How to get there: Motorbike or Taxi from Dong Van town
- Elevation: 1 700 m above sea level
- Where to stay: Dong Van town or Lung Cu village
icon-map-marker Map of the route from Dong Van to Lung Cu Flag Tower:
(This road is in a good condition, and you can travel by motorbike)