Information – Ban Gioc
How to get to Ban Gioc
When to visit Ban Gioc
Faqs + Travel Tips
Photos of Ban Gioc
Ban Gioc Waterfall (Detian Falls) – probably the most beautiful waterfall in the north.
- Ban Gioc Waterfalls (or Detian Falls) is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Cao Bang province, one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Southeast Asia, and are designated as the largest waterfalls in Vietnam. These waterfalls are also very photogenic. The whole province of Cao Bang, however, does not belong to popular tourist destinations. I think, it is a shame, because this province has a lot to offer for travelers.
Where is the Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- Ban Gioc Waterfalls are a collection of waterfalls and have two names, located on the border of Vietnam and China about 360 km from Hanoi – Cao Bang province. Ban Gioc (Thác Bản Giốc) – so called part of the waterfall in Vietnam, and Detian – so called part of the waterfall in China. The Ban Gioc Waterfalls are up to 200 m wide (mostly in summer, with plenty of water), consisting of 3 cascades up to 70 m high, one cascade is about 30 m high.
Ban Gioc Waterfalls in Cao Bang province are visited mainly by tourists from Asia.
- Ban Gioc Waterfalls do not belong to the frequent tourist destinations of non-Asian tourists, mainly tourists from Asia (China, Vietnam …) and especially during the summer months. Waterfalls are not so easy to access and are located in a non-tourist province, so there may be a little worse transportation, which some foreign travelers discourage.
How long to stay in Cao Bang province?
- If you want to visit these waterfalls in this beautiful area, I recommend you stay a few days and explore this province, preferably on a motorbike, such as Trung Khanh district or definitely visit nearby Nguom Ngao Cave (about 3 km from the waterfalls), Truc Lam Phat Tich Pagoda (about 500 m from the waterfalls), which offers a very nice view of the area.
The best way how to get to Ban Gioc Waterfalls is to travel by motorbike (if you can).
- Ban Gioc Waterfalls are located about 360 km from Hanoi and it is not a short distance in Vietnam and takes hours of traveling. The best place to start is Cao Bang town – about 85 km from the waterfalls. From Hanoi to Cao Bang you can travel by sleeping buses – mostly from My Dinh bus stop (it can take up to 7 hours) and in Cao Bang you can take a local bus to the waterfalls (approx. 2-3 hours). However, you must always find the exact times at the bus stops, so it can take much more time.
- If you can drive a motorbike, I recommend travel by motorbike from Cao Bang, there is a very good road to the waterfalls, and there you can stay for 2 days to explore a very nice neighborhood. The whole DT206 road is very nice, in a good condition, you will be traveling through several scenic areas, villages, it is not complicated and you can stop for taking pictures. Another option is to use some tourist agency to arrange a trip to Ban Gioc Waterfalls, and other destinations in Cao Bang province, but it is not a cheap affair.
How to get from Hanoi to Ban Gioc Waterfalls?
- 1. Tourist bus from Hanoi to Cao Bang town (7.5-10 hours)
- 2. Local bus from Cao Bang to Ban Gioc Waterfalls (timetable in Cao Bang bus station)
- 3. Travel on a motorbike from Cao Bang to Ban Gioc Falls (if you can – I recommend)
- 4. Private car/taxi from Hanoi to Ban Gioc Falls
How to move around the Ban Gioc Waterfalls in Cao Bang province?
- Ban Gioc Waterfalls are located in the lowland area, surrounded by hilly to mountain formations, it is not difficult to get there and move aorund. There is a parking lot for motorbikes and cars before the entrance to the waterfalls, and the road for the means of transport leads here.
- In the very confined area of the waterfalls you will walk and for a shorter boat trip under the waterfalls, you can use the boat transport – raft, that will take you to the other side of the river (paid separately). I recommend to rent a motorbike or bicycle to move around.
What is the best time to visit Ban Gioc – Detian Falls in Cao Bang province?
- You can visit the Ban Gioc Falls throughout the year. The best season is mostly in the summer months (May-September), when the water is mostly clean, transparent, and water is enough. However, this is a monsoon period and therefore occasional heavy rainfall can not be ruled out. In the summer, also count with a possible number of tourists.
- In the winter months (dry season), there may be less water, the water is not so clean and some services (accommodation, food …) on site may be limited, but there is not a monsoon season and not so visited by tourists. In the winter it can also be very cold, but it is good to know, the weather can always change quickly.
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Ban Gioc Waterfall in Cao Bang:
How to travel from Hanoi to Cao Bang / Ban Gioc?
- If you do not have your private tourist operator, you can travel by various buses from My Dinh or Gia Lam bus stations in Hanoi. Travel by bus from Hanoi to Cao Bang town takes about 7-10 hours and the bus tickets costs about 8-12 USD. There is no railway connection between Hanoi and Cao Bang.
- Read full story: How do I get from Hanoi to Cao Bang?
- you can travel by sleeper buses from Hanoi to Cao Bang
- bus ticket from Hanoi to Cao Bang costs about 8-11 USD/pp
- travel time by sleeper bus from Hanoi to Cao Bang is about 7.5-10 hours
- bus companies from Hanoi to Cao Bang: Thanh Ly or Khanh Hoan
- travel by private car from Hanoi to Ban Gioc Waterfall costs about 200-275 USD/car
- Book bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Cao Bang on Baolau
- Book private car from Hanoi to Ban Gioc Waterfall on 12go.asia
What to see at the Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- You can see Ban Gioc Watefall 🙂 But there are also a few interesting places, eg. the nearest interesting place at the waterfall is the Truc Lam Phat Tich Pagoda and about 7 km from the Ban Gioc Waterfall you can visit Nguom Ngao Cave. But the whole area at the waterfall is very nice.
Where is the Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- Ban Gioc Waterfall (Thác Bản Giốc) is about 360 km from Hanoi and about 85 km from Cao Bang town. It lies in the north-east part of the north of Vietnam on the Quây Sơn river (Sông Quây Sơn). This waterfall lies on the border with China. Ban Gioc Waterfall is a part of the Non Nuoc Cao Bang Geopark, written in UNESCO heritage list.
Where to buy ticket for Ban Gioc and what is the price?
- If you want to visit Ban Gioc Waterfall you have to buy ticket, you can buy ticket on the spot. Ticket to the Ban Gioc Waterfall costs about 40 000 – 60 000 viet.dongs (2-3 USD, can change).
How to travel from Cao Bang to Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- The best option is to travel by motorbike, but drive very carefully. This road – DT206 is in very good condition and the area is scenic, you can stop everywhere and make photos. Another option is to travel by local public bus from the Cao Bang town to the waterfall. The exact times you have to find at the Cao Bang bus station or ask at the hotel. Ban Gioc Waterfall in vietnamese – Thác Bản Giốc.
How big and large are the Ban Gioc Waterfalls in Cao Bang?
- Ban Gioc Waterfalls in Cao Bang are the 4th biggest border waterfalls in the world. They consist of three main cascades, the highest level is 30 meters high, the total height is over 70 meters and the width in the rainy season from May to September is about 200 meters.
When is the best time to visit Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- Theoretically, you can visit the Ban Gioc Waterfall throughout the year, but in the winter months it may be less water, it is a dry season. The best time to visit is during summer time from May to September when it rains sometimes so you can see a big waterfall, but you should know, it is a monsoon season in Vietnam.
Where to stay in Cao Bang town?
- There are various not so expensive hotels/homestays in Cao Bang town. Lets take a look at the very good reviewed hotels/guesthouses, you can book your hotel online: Jeanne Hotel ▶️ Primrose Homestay ▶️ Cao Bang Ecohomestay ▶️ Max Boutique Hotel ▶️ Minh Hoang Hotel ▶️ Duong Ha Hotel ▶️ 89 Hotel ▶️ Ky Dieu Hotel ▶️ Gold Hotel
Where to stay at the Ban Gioc Waterfalls? Is there some accommodation?
- Yes, there are some types of accommodation. Some homestays or cheap hotels in the nearby area, but it is still a little bit limited. In the non-tourist season (winter months), some of these homestays or hotels may be closed. You can try: Tung Duong Guesthouse ▶️ May Linh Homestay ▶️ Khuoiky Ban Gioc Homestay ▶️ Minh Khang Homestay
How long to stay at the Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- A lot of travelers are going to visit only the waterfalls and then they are going away. I think it is a mistake and I recommend to stay in this beautiful area for at least 3 days, rent a motorbike or bicycle and travel in this non-tourist area on your own. About 3 km from the waterfall there is the fascinating Nguom Ngao Cave or in Trung Khanh district you can visit scenic area of Phong Nam.
Is it possible to buy some food/snacks at the Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- Yes, you can buy there some snacks/food, but it’s a little bit limited, there are some small restaurants before the Ban Gioc Waterfalls. There are also some small restaurant right at the waterfall. I do not exclude that some new shops/restaurants will grow in the near future.
Where to rent a motorbike or bicycle at the Ban Gioc Waterfall?
- If you came to the Ban Gioc Waterfalls by bus and you want to rent a motorbike or bicycle, you have to ask at your hotel / guesthouse. If you want to rent a motorbike in Hanoi or other city of Vietnam, you can do it online, search and book motorbike with Bikesbooking.
Where to travel from Cao Bang?
Ban Gioc Waterfall (Thác Bản Giốc) – Information:
- Location: Cao Bang province (Trùng Khánh district) – Vietnam
- How far is it: About 85 km from Cao Bang town (360 km from Hanoi)
- Ticket: About 40-60 000 VND (about 2-3 USD)
- Tourist attraction: Waterfall (+Nguom Ngao Cave)
- How to get there: Local bus or motorbike from Cao Bang town
- How to get from Hanoi to Cao Bang: Tourist bus or motorbike
- Height: 60 m, Width: about 210 m
icon-map-marker Route map – from Cao Bang to Ban Gioc Waterfall:
(The best travel route from Cao Bang town to Ban Gioc Waterfall)