- Penang Island is about 15 to 20-minute by ferry ride from mainland Penang on the Malaysian Peninsula. There are two bridges connecting the island to the mainland – Penang Bridge and the Second Penang Bridge (Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’Adzam Shah Bridge). Penang was formerly known as Pulau Ka Satu. A sea rover by the name of Ragam named it Pulau Ka Satu a single island as it was the only large the isolated land he came across on his trading trips between Lingga and Kedah. Penang is now one of the most visited places in Malaysia and offers nature, history, cultures and relax at the sea. You can also very easily visit Penang National park. From Penang Island you can travel by ferry/boat or plane (direct flight) to Langkawi. Langkawi is a popular site for tourists, very nice clean beaches, boat trips, relax and from Langkawi you can travel to Thailand (by boat/ferry to Koh Lipe). There are 3 ways how you can travel to Penang from Malacca – by tourist bus, train of KTM (via Tampin and Kuala Lumpur) or plane (direct flight to Penang International Airport). The most comfortable is a direct flight, but flights are limited.
- Book bus e-tickets/flights from Malacca to Penang online on 12go.asia
From Malacca to Penang you can travel by bus, train or plane.
- Travel distance from Malacca to Penang is about 500 km by land or about 450 km by plane. From Malacca to Penang you can travel by tourist bus, train via Tampin and Kuala Lumpur or plane. The most cheapest way is to travel by tourist bus to Penang. Buses in Malaysia are modern, new and clean and bust tickets are cheap. Bus ticket from Malacca to Penang costs about $11-14/pp and travel by bus takes about 7-9 hours. Buses arrive to Butterworth or Sungai Nibong – Penang. You can also travel by train from Tampin (about 40 km from Malacca) to Butterworth via Kuala Lumpur. Butterworth is the closest railway station to Penang, about 20 km from the island. From Butterworth to Penang – Georgetown you can travel by boat or local bus/taxi. Boat departs from Butterworth railway station, the dock is a few meteres from this station. There is also a direct flight operated by Malindo Air – the most fastest way how to reach Penang Island – to Penang Airport. Penang Airport is about 18 km south of Georgetown and from this airport you can take a local public bus or taxi to Georgetown. Direct flight to Penang from Malacca costs about $35-80/pp. Book and buy your bus/train tickets or flights from Malacca to Penang easily online and enjoy your trip in Malaysia.
How do I get from Malacca to Penang?
1. BUS from Malacca to Penang
- travel by bus from Malacca to Penang takes about 7-9 hours
- comfortable and sleeper modern tourist buses (air-conditioned, steward, tv, wc, snack…)
- bus companies from Malacca to Penang: Transnasional, Sri Maju Group, Mayang Sari, Transnasional MY…
- one-way bus ticket from Malacca to Penang costs about $11-14/pp
- a cheapest way how to travel from Malacca to Penang (+Butterworth, Georgetown)
- some buses run to Butterworth (about 5 km from Penang) or directly to Sungai Nibong – Penang
- bus stations in Malacca – various depart bus stations, check 12go.asia
- bus stations in Penang Island/Butterworth – various arrival bus stations, check 12go.asia
- Book and buy bus e-tickets from Malacca to Penang online on 12go.asia
- this is a top travel route from Malacca to Penang – recommended – book your bus tickets online!
2. TRAIN from Malacca (Tampin) to Penang
- you can also travel by KTM train from Tampin to Butterworth
- Tampin is about 40 km from Malacca town (you can take a local bus, taxi)
- Butterworth is only about 5 km by ferry from Penang Island
- modern and comfortable trains (ETS Gold, ETS Platinum Standard, ETS Business)
- travel by train takes about 6.5 hours from Malacca (Tampin) to Butterworth
- one-way train ticket from Malacca (Tampin) to Butterworth costs about $15-48/pp
- from Butterworth to Penang you can take a ferry/boat or bus, taxi to Georgetown
- railway station in Tampin – Pulau Sebang/Tampin Railway Station
- railway station in Butterworth – Butterworth Railway Station
- Book and buy train tickets from Malacca (Tampin) to Penang online on 12go.asia
3. FLIGHT from Malacca to Penang
- yes, there is also a flight from Malacca to Penang
- a fastest and comfortable way how to get from Malacca to Penang
- duration of flight from Malacca to Penang is about 1.5 hour
- direct flight from Malacca to Penang costs about $35-80/pp
- airlines from Malacca to Penang: Malindo Air, Air Asia
- airport in Malacca: Batu Berendum Airport/Melaka Airport
- airport in Penang: Penang International Airport
- Book your direct flight from Malacca to Penang online on 12go.asia
How to travel from Butterworth to Georgetown?
- from Butterworth to Georgetown in Penang Island you can travel by Penang ferry or taxi
- ferry departs regularly from the Ferry Terminal in Butterworth (5.30am till 11.30pm) every 10-20 minutes
- you can get to the ferry terminal directly from the train and bus stations in Butterworth
- Pangkalan Sultan Abdul Halim Ferry Terminal
- ferry takes just 15 minutes to reach the pier at Weld Quay in Penang Island
12go.asia – search, book and buy your tickets, flights online
– this company sells the train, bus, ferry tickets, flights mainly in Thailand (+ tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos…)
– from 2018 you can book train tickets for China online (Beijing to Shanghai, Shanghai to Hangzhou, Shanghai to Nanjing…)
– ferry/boat tickets in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, eg. ferry to Phu Quoc, Koh Rong, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Koh Tao…
– tickets for the main routes in Thailand, eg: Surat Thani to Phuket, Bangkok to Krabi, Bangkok to Surat Thani, Bangkok to Pattaya…
– you can use an online train e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam (not in Thailand)
– you can not use your online train ticket in Thailand, you have to print it (12go can deliver these train tickets in Thailand)
– if you book train tickets in Thailand at 12go.asia, you have to pick them in the office: Bangkok (DOB building) or Chiang Mai (Bossotel)
– more information about train tickets and train travel in Thailand
Baolau – search, book and buy your tickets, flights online
– train, bus, ferry tickets + flights in Southeast Asia, mainly for Vietnam (+Cambodia and Laos, Mynamar…)
– flights of Vietnamese Airlines, JetStar Pacific, VietJet Air, Air Asia in Southeast Asia
– tickets for the ferries and boats in Vietnam, Cambodia… eg. ferry to Cat Ba, ferry to Mui Ne, ferry to Quan Lan, ferry to Nam Du..
– tickets for various routes in Vietnam, eg. Lao Cai to Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh to Ha Long Bay, Da Lat to Hanoi…
– acceptable online train e-ticket in your mobile phone/tablet in Vietnam (recommended – print your ticket)
– read all the information before you book your tickets, read also frequently asked questions/help at Baolau
icon-info-circle Faqs + Tips – Travel route from Malacca to Penang:
How to book tickets + flights from Malacca to Penang?
- You can book e-tickets/flights from Malacca to Penang online on 12go.asia.
- You can book another tickets, e.g. Malacca > Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur > Georgetown…
How long does it take to travel from Malacca to Penang?
- Travel by bus from Malacca to Penang takes about 7-9 hours.
- Travel by train from Malacca (Tampin) to Penang (Butterworth) takes about 7 hours.
- Travel by plane from Malacca to Penang takes about 1.5 hour (direct flight).
How much does it cost to travel from Malacca to Penang?
- Travel by bus from Malacca to Penang costs about $11-14/pp.
- Travel by train from Malacca (Tampin) to Penang (Butterworth) costs about $15-48/pp.
- Travel by plane from Malacca to Penang costs about $35-80/pp (direct flight).
What is the travel distance from Malacca to Penang?
- Travel distance from Malacca to Penang is about 500 km by train/bus/minivan or about 450 km by plane.
What is the best way of transport from Malacca to Penang?
- The best way of transport from Malacca to Penang is to travel by plane, you will save a lot of time and there are direct flights from Malacca to Penang island every day. Penang International Airport is about 15 km from Georgetown and there are local buses and private taxis.
What is the most cheapest way of getting from Malacca to Penang?
- The most cheapest way of transport from Malacca to Penang (+Butterworth, Georgetown) is to travel by tourist bus. The most cheapest one-way bus ticket from Malacca to Penang costs about $11/pp.
Is there a direct flight from Malacca to Penang?
- Yes, there is a direct flight of Malindo Air, travel time by plane is only about 1.5 hour to Penang Airport.
How to go from Butterworth to Georgetown?
- Georgetown city is the main base for tourists. There are various hotels, guesthouses or hostels, restaurants and services. If you arrive to Butterworth (20 km from Penang) you can travel by boat or local bus to Georgetown. Travel by boat is a good option. Boats depart right from Butterworth railway station (Sultan Abdul Halim Ferry Terminal), it is a few meters from the railway station.
Bus Schedule / Timetable – Malacca to Penang + Bus Tickets:
Bus Schedule - Malacca to Penang
Departs in Malacca
Arrival in Penang
Sri Maju Group
icon-arrow-circle-right Book your bus/train tickets or flights from Malacca to Penang + Schedule:
(you can change your departure and arrival place, eg. Malacca > Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur > Penang…)