Tham Ma Pass – one of many beautiful mountain passes in Ha Giang province.
- Tham Ma Pass (Greatly steep Code, Dốc Thẩm Mã or Tham Ma slope) is a mountain pass/road in Ha Giang province (Dong Van District, Lung Thau). Dong Van District and its Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark offers a number of great mountain passes and paths and this is one of them. If you drive from Ha Giang town to Dong Van north along QL4C you can not miss it because it is a part of this road.
- The nearest bigger town is Yen Minh, Tham Ma Pass is about 10 km from this city and approximately 5 km lenght, between Pho Cao and Van Chai villages. Yen Minh is a bigger town in Ha Giang province, offering shops, restaurants and other services, you can make a short stopover in this place.
How to get to the Tham Ma Pass? The best way is to travel by motorbike/mototaxi.
- Probably you will be traveling from Ha Giang to Dong Van on QL4C National highway in the north of Vietnam. So, first you have to travel to Yen Minh town, it is about 70 km from Ha Giang. From Ha Giang to Dong Van you can travel by local bus, but the best way is to travel by motorbike or you can use mototaxi in Yen Minh town.
- Some road sections in Ha Giang province are dangerous, drive carefully and slowly, it is a mountain area. Traveling by motorbike is the best way for the experienced drivers. From Tham Ma Pass you can continue to Dong Van town, only about 30 km.
1. Travel by motorbike on your own (experienced drivers)
2. Motorbike taxi in Yen Minh town
3. Local bus from Ha Giang to Dong Van
4. Motorbike tour with guide
In Yen Minh district you can see beautiful mountain sceneries + ethnic villages.
- All around the city of Yen Minh is beautiful, it is already Dong Van Karst Global Geopark area, so you will see especially fascinating mountain areas, nature, ethnic villages and ethnicity. This area has no „tourist attractions“ and still retains its authenticity. For those who will have more time or stay in Yen Minh and travel on a motorbike, they can also explore the surroundings, several other side-trips to remote areas and, above all, to minority villages and nature.
What is the best time to visit the Tham Ma Pass? And what about the weather?
- You can visit the Tham Ma Pass all year round. However, this is true for other mountain sites in Ha Giang Province, if you can avoid a lot of rainy days, rainy days are mainly in the monsoon season, in the summer months. In the winter (December – February) it may be very cold in the area and it is also good to have some warm clothes. A suitable time to visit Tham Ma Pass in Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark can be the autumn months.
FAQ + TIPS – Tham Ma Pass in Ha Giang province:
How to travel from Hanoi to Ha Giang in the north of Vietnam?
- The only way (if you are not traveling on a motorbike or with a tour agency) is to take a bus. There are various tourist buses/limousines from Hanoi to Ha Giang. You can book and buy bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Ha Giang easily online.
- Book your bus e-tickets + schedule from Hanoi to Ha Giang on Baolau or 12go.asia
Where is the Tham Ma Pass?
- Tham Ma Pass is only about 10 km from the town of Yen Minh, Ha Giang province. It is only about 30 km from the Tham Ma Pass to Dong Van town. Tham Ma Pass is a part of the Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark, one of the most amazing mountain sites in northern Vietnam.
How to get from Ha Giang town to Yen Minh or Dong Van?
- You can travel by motorbike or by local bus from Ha Giang to Dong Van (bus can stop in Yen Minh town). You can also travel with a motorbike guide from Ha Giang. Traveling on a motorbike in Ha Giang is recommended only for the experienced drivers.
The road in Yen Minh / Dong Van are dangerous?
- Yes, it is a mountain area, you have to travel very carefully and slowly.
How long is the Tham Ma Pass?
- Tham Ma Pass is about 5 km long.
What to prepare and what to watch out in Tham Ma Pass?
- In the winter, the area and the cave can be very cold, so get warmer clothes. It is better if you skip the rainy or foggy weather.