Hoan Kiem Lake is authentic and historic site in Hanoi.
At the heart of the tourist center of Hanoi is very famous Hoan Kiem Lake (Hoàn Kiếm, The Lake of the Restored Sword). This site still keep the authenticity of Vietnam and Hanoi, so far there are no huge modern buildings and other commercial centers. The history of the lake is connected with the turtle, according to legend, she lived in the 15th century and gave the magical sword to Le Loi King. The king, thanks to the sword won the battle for independence of Vietnam and beat the Chinese Ming dynasty. There was sacred turtle also last about 80 to 100 years in the lake, unfortunately, she died in January 2016 (more info) and Hanoi very grieved, very tragic event for the people from Hanoi.
Thousands of residents and tourists walking aroun the lake.
A lot of tourists and even locals around the Hoan Kiem Lake come here to play sports, jogging, practicing tai chi or take pictures or just relax. It is good to take a walk here in the evening, it has its unforgettable atmosphere.
3 important historic buildings on the lake are attractively illuminated at night.
You will see on the Hoan Kiem Lake:
> Temple of the Jade Mountain (Đền Ngọc Sơn)
> The Bridge of the morning sunlight (Cầu Thê Húc)
> Turtle Tower (Tháp Rùa)
Temple of the Jade Mountain (Đền Ngọc Sơn)
– famous buddhist palace dedicated to Confucian and Taoist philosophers and national hero – Trần Hưng Đạo
– temple is built on a small island connected by The Huc Bridge (Cầu Thê Húc) and was expanded in 1865
– you will see the balsam body of last living turtle in Hoan Kiem Lake in this temple
– it is also possible to buy art objects or visit a musical performance in the temple
The Bridge of the morning sunlight (Cầu Thê Húc)
– this bridge connects the Temple of Jade Mountain with the terrestrial communications around the Hoan Kiem Lake
– structures is made from the wood, in red color (very photogenic at night)
– The Huc Bridge is also called ““the bridge where light is absorbed”
Turtle Tower (Tháp Rùa)
– built in 1886, located in the middle of the Hoan Kiem Lake
– this structure honors the magic turtle that still guards the sword of Le Loi
– on the top of Turtle Tower there used to stand a version of the Statue of Liberty, placed there by the French, the statue was destroyed when the Tran Trong Kim government took over the city from the French administration in 1945
– a significant symbol of the pride of Hanoi residents
Map of the Hoan Kiem Lake and nearby places icon-angle-double-down
– map of the surrounding and other interesting places around the Hoan Kiem Lake
Another interesting places around the Hoan Kiem Lake:
> Thang Long Water Puppet Theater
> Bong Sen Water Puppet Theater
> Ly Thai To Park
> Trang Tien Plaza – shopping center
> Restaurants, shops …
Photos of the Hoan Kiem Lake and nearby places icon-angle-double-down
– Temple of the Jade Mountain (Đền Ngọc Sơn), The Huc Bridge (Cầu Thê Húc), Turtle Tower (Tháp Rùa)….
Exercise at the Hoan Kiem Lake icon-angle-double-down
– the daily images at the night at the Hoan Kiem Lake