- Mai Chau is a small town in Hoa Binh province. A popular place mainly by vietnamese tourists. Mai Chau could be a starting place if you want to explore Pu Luong Nature Reserve or visit Hoa Binh Lake. It is only about 65 km from Moc Chau, another “no-tourist place” in the northwest part of Vietnam. Mai Chau is a place full of nature and a good option if you want to try to stay in the local homestay of the ethnic Thai people. There are 3 ways of transport to Mai Chau from Hanoi – by bus/minivan, private car or motorbike. Bus or minivan is the most popular way of transfer to Mai Chau.
From Hanoi to Mai Chau you can travel by bus, taxi, motorbike.
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Mai Chau is about 140 km (over Hoa Binh town). There are 3 popular options of transport how to get from Hanoi to Mai Chau. There is no train connection and there are no flights, Mai Chau has no airport, so you have to travel by bus, taxi or motorbike. Bus tickets from Hanoi to Mai Chau cost about $8-14 (depends on the type of bus) and transport by bus takes about 4-4.5 hours. You can also travel directly from Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport to Mai Chau by private taxi (van, minivan). You can book bus tickets from Hanoi to Mai Chau or private taxi from Noi Bai Airport easily online. Transport on motorbike is for the experienced motorbike drivers (IDP in Vietnam necessary). From Mai Chau you can travel by bus to Ninh Binh – another popular tourist spot in northern Vietnam.
How do I get from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
1. BUS/VAN from Hanoi to Mai Chau
- travel by bus/van from Hanoi to Mai Chau takes about 4-4,5 hours
- bus of Grouptour departs from the center of Hanoi (Hoan Kiem, check 12go.asia)
- there are some buses from Hanoi to Mai Chau from My Dinh bus station
- travel by bus is a cheapest way how to get from Hanoi to Mai Chau
- one-way bus ticket from Hanoi to Mai Chau costs about $8-14/pp (depends on the type of bus)
- Book and buy bus tickets from Hanoi to Mai Chau on 12go.asia icon-external-link-square or Baolau icon-external-link-square
- you will receive your bus e-ticket to Mai chau by email, ready to print or carry in your smartphone or tablet and present when boarding the bus in Hanoi (Recommended – print your bus ticket)
2. TAXI (Van, Minivan) from Hanoi to Mai Chau
- from Hanoi to Mai Chau you can also travel by private taxi
- you can book private taxi (Van, Minivan) from Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport
- travel by taxi from Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport to Mai Chau takes about 4 hours
- travel by taxi (Van, Minivan) from Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport to Mai Chau costs about $127-175 (car)
- you can book minivan for 4 passengers or van for 9 passengers
- if you are traveling in a group of people – van is a good way how to get to Mai Chau
- Book your taxi from Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport to Mai Chau on 12go.asia icon-external-link-square
3. TRAVEL BY MOTORBIKE to Mai Chau
- a good way of transport to Mai Chau only for the experienced drivers
- travel by motorbike from Hanoi to Mai Chau can take up to 4-5 hours
- you can stop and visit Hoa Binh Lake, Hoa Binh town is about 65 km from Mai Chau
- use your Google Maps navigation in your smartphone
- there are various tourist motorbike rentals in Hanoi (motorbike for 1 day costs about $10-15/pp)
- Book your motorbike/bicycle in Hanoi easily online on Bikesbooking icon-external-link-square
icon-map-marker Mai Chau + Hoa Binh Lake – Tourist map:
Baolau – Online ticket booking in Asia
– you can book various tickets/flights for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, Thailand, Myanmar…)
– ferry routes for Vietnam, Cambodia, eg. ferry/boats to Cat Ba, ferries to Phu Quoc, ferry to Nam Du Island, ferry to Koh Rong…
– tickets for tourist routes in Vietnam eg. Hanoi to Ha Giang, Hanoi to Dong Hoi, Da Lat to Saigon…
– you can use your online train e-ticket in smartphone in Vietnam (Recommended – print your ticket)
– official prices of transport companies, airlines, updated schedules/timetables
– before you book your tickets, read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
12go.asia – Online ticket booking in Asia
– you can book various tickets/flights mainly to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia…)
– ferry/boat tickets for Vietnam, Thailand…eg. ferry/boats to Vung Tau, Koh Kood, Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta…
– train/bus tickets for the most frequented routes in Thailand – Bangkok > Surat Thani, Surat Thani > Phuket, Bangkok > Chiang Mai…
– you can also book train tickets for China online (Beijing to Shanghai, Beijing to Xian, Shanghai to Nanjing..)
– you can use an online train ticket in Vietnam in your smartphone/tablet (not in Thailand)
– if you book train ticket in Baolau/12go for tourist trains in Vietnam to Sapa (Orient, Sapaly…), you must pick it up at the station
icon-info-circle Faqs – Travel route from Hanoi to Mai Chau – Tipsicon-angle-double-down
How to book bus tickets or taxi from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
Do you want to book a motorbike in Hanoi?
- You can search and book your motorbike in Hanoi with Bikesbooking.
How long does it take from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
- Travel by bus/minivan from Hanoi to Mai Chau takes about 4-5 hours.
- Travel by taxi from Hanoi (+Noi Bai Airport) to Mai Chau takes about 4 hours.
- Travel by motorbike from Hanoi to Mai Chau takes about 4-5 hours.
How much does it cost to travel from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
- Travel by bus/minivan from Hanoi to Mai Chau costs about $8-14/pp.
- Travel by taxi from Hanoi (+Noi Bai Airport) to Mai Chau costs about $127-175 (car).
What is the travel distance from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
- Travel distance from Hanoi to Mai Chau (over Hoa Binh) is about 140 km by bus/motorbike.
Is it possible to travel by train from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
- No, there is no railway station in Mai Chau, there is no train connection between these cities. The only way how to get to Mai Chau is to travel by bus, taxi, motorbike or private transport. You can also book eg. 2-3 day tour from Hanoi.
Is there a flight from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
- No, there is no flight, travel by plane is not possible, Mai Chau has no airport.
Where to stay in Mai Chau?
- Mai Chau offers various types of accommodation – mainly local homestays, bungalows, hotels or tourist resorts. Accommodation in Mai Chau in homestay is cheap and start already at $7/pp (shared room in homestay). There are only a few luxury resorts for tourists and standard hotels are limited.
How to get from Mai Chau to Ninh Binh?
- You can travel from Mai Chau to Ninh Binh by bus. There are only a few buses to Ninh Binh, but you need to ask at your hotel for current schedule. Transport between Mai Chau and Ninh Binh is limited.
Where to go from Mai Chau?
- You can travel from Mai Chau to Moc Chau, travel distance is only about 65 km, so you can rent a motorbike and travel on your own. If you want to travel by local or tourist bus from Mai Chau to Moc Chau – ask for the bus at your hotel. Another good reason why to visit Mai Chau is to travel to Hoa Binh Lake. Teoretically you can also travel to Halong Bay (via Hanoi or Ninh Binh).
icon-arrow-circle-right Book your bus tickets or taxi from Hanoi to Mai Chau + Scheduleicon-angle-double-down
(You can change your departure or arrival place, eg. Hanoi to Ninh Binh, Hanoi to Ha Giang…)