Train – Beijing to Shanghai
Flight – Beijing to Shanghai
Bus – Beijing to Shanghai
Book Tickets Online
From Beijing to Shanghai – the most frequented travel route.
- Shanghai (Shàng Hǎi, 上海) is one of the most important economic center and the most populous city of China. Shanghai has more than 24 million inhabitants and is situated on the estuary of Yangtze River, empties into the East China Sea. Shanghai also belongs to the one of the most visited places in China. Travel distance from Beijing to Shanghai is about 1300 km by train and about 1100 km by air. This travel route belongs to the most frequented routes in the east of China. There are high-speed trains and also a few airlines from Beijing to Shanghai. The best way how to travel from Beijing to Shanghai is probably to travel by high-speed train of China Railways. The most fastest option is to travel by plane – there are direct flights every day and travel time is only about 2.5 hours. Direct flights to Beijing from Shanghai cost about $70-300/pp and there are various airlines every day from Beijing Capital Airport or Beijing Daxing Airport. It is also possible to travel by bus, but it is better to travel by train or plane.
- You can book train tickets + flights from Beijing to Shanghai on Baolau or 12go.asia
From Beijing to Shanghai you can travel by train/plane/bus.
- There are various highs-peed trains from Beijing to Shanghai (first class seat, second class seat, business seat) and traveling by train takes only about 4.55-5.5 hours. These highs-peed trains to Shanghai offer modern comfort and service (G, D trains). All day long there are dozens of train connections and several connections overnight. Besides G and D high-speed trains, there are also some T trains and one pair of regular trains are also available for the transportation between Beijing and Shanghai – but these trains are slow. Train tickets from Beijing to Shanghai cost about $23-270/pp, it depend what type of train you will choose. The most cheapest are tickets for hard seat or sleeper, but travel time is about 19 hours. It is better to take 2nd class train – there are regular seats or business seats. The most expensive are train tickets for business seats. Trains from Beijing to Shanghai arrive to Shanghai – Hongqiao Railway Station or Shanghai Railway Station. How and where to buy train ticket from Beijing to Shanghai? Now you can book your train tickets from Beijing to Shanghai online. From Shanghai you can also travel to Suzhou or Hangzhou.
How do I get from Beijing to Shanghai?
1. TRAINS from Beijing to Shanghai
- interesting experience is to travel by high-speed train in China
- a very fast way how to travel from Beijing to Shanghai
- this route is operated by China Railway
- high-speed trains – G/D (second class seat, first class seat, business seat)
- travel by high-speed train takes about 4.5-5.5 hours from Beijing to Shanghai
- air-conditioned trains, steward, toilet
- regular/normal trains – T, travel takes up to 12-20 hours (hard seat, sleeper)
- there are about 50 high-speed trains from Beijing to Shanghai every day
- one-way train ticket costs about $23-270/pp (depends on the class of train)
- railway station in Beijing – Beijing South Railway Station, Langfang – Hebei, or Beijing Railway Station
- railway station in Shanghai – Shanghai Railway Station or Shanghai – Hongqiao Railway Station
- Book and buy your train tickets from Beijing to Shanghai on Baolau or 12go.asia
- valid ID is required when buying a ticket and boarding a train > foreign passengers: passport / Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan passengers: Mainland travel permit
2. FLIGHTS from Beijing to Shanghai
- next fast and comfortable way how to travel from Beijing to Shanghai
- there are lots of direct flights between these cities
- airlines: China Eastern, China Southern, Hainan Airlines, Air China, Juneyao Airlines, Shandong Airlines…
- the price for the direct flight from Beijing to Shanghai starts at $70-300/pp (can be higher)
- time of the direct flight from Beijing to Shanghai is about 2.5 hours
- airport in Beijing – Beijing Capital Airport or Beijing Daxing Airport
- airport in Shanghai – Shanghai Hongqiao Airport or Shanghai Pudong Airport
- Book your direct flight from Beijing to Shanghai online on Baolau or 12go.asia
3. BUS from Beijing to Shanghai
- travel by bus from Beijing to Shanghai is also possible, but not so comfortable
- you should know – this route to Shanghai has about 1280 km
- yes, it is a cheapest way how to get from Beijing to Shanghai, but it takes about 18-20 hours
- bus departs from Xianglong Zhaogongkou Bus Station
- the buses stop regularly every two or three hours
- if you can – it is better to travel by 2nd class train of China Railways
12go.asia – search, book, buy tickets + flights
– a specialist for train, bus, ferry tickets mainly in Thailand (also tickets for Vietnam, China, Cambodia, China, Myanmar, Laos)
– tickets for the main routes in Thailand, eg: Bangkok to Hua Hin, Bangkok to Koh Samui, Bangkok to Chiang Mai…
– boat/ferry tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, eg. ferry to Vung Tau, Koh Tao, Koh Lanta, Koh Rong, Koh Phangan...
– from 2018 you can book train tickets for China online (Beijing to Shanghai, Beijing to Xian, Shanghai to Suzhou…)
– you can use an online train e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam (not in Thailand)
– you can not use an online train ticket in Thailand, more information about train tickets and trains in Thailand
– if you buy an train ticket for tourist trains in Vietnam to Lao Cai (Victoria, Sapaly, Chapa …), you must pick it up at the station
– read all the additional information before you book and buy tickets
Baolau – search, book, buy tickets + flights
– you can book train, bus, ferry tickets, flights for Vietnam (also a tickets for Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand…)
– various well-know bus or ferry tourist companies and airlines in southeast Asia
– tickets booking is easy, fast, one of the best search engine of southeast Asia
– tickets for various travel routes in Thailand, eg. Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Bangkok to Koh Phangan, Bangkok to Koh Chang…
– tickets for routes in Vietnam, eg. Da Lat to Hoi An, Hue to Ninh Binh, Hanoi to Ninh Binh…
– the price of tickets depends on the official price of transport company or airlines from southeast Asia
– in Vietnam, you can use online train ticket in your mobile phone (I recommend to print a ticket)
– read any other information about ticket before you order, read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Travel route from Beijing to Shanghai:
How to book and buy tickets from Beijing to Shanghai?
How long does it take to get from Beijing to Shanghai?
- Travel by plane from Beijing to Shanghai takes about 2.5 hours.
- Travel by train from Beijing to Shanghai takes about 5-20 hours (depends on the type of train).
- Travel by bus from Beijing to Shanghai takes about 20 hours.
What is the travel distance from Beijing to Shanghai?
- Travel distance from Beijing to Shanghai by bus or train is about 1300 km, by plane about 1100 km.
How much does it cost to travel from Beijing to Shanghai?
- Travel by plane from Beijing to Shanghai costs about $70-300/pp.
- Travel by train from Beijing to Shanghai costs about $23-270/pp (depends on the type of train).
What is the fastest option of transfer from Beijing to Shanghai?
- The fastest way of transfer from Beijing to Shanghai is to travel by plane, there are direct flights. Travel time is about 2.5 hours. There are various airlines: China Eastern, China Southern, Hainan Airlines, Air China, Juneyao Airlines…
What is the cheapest way of transfer from Beijing to Shanghai?
- The most cheapest tickets are train tickets for hard seat or sleeper berth. But travel time by train with hard seats or sleeper berths takes about 19 hours. Train tickets for this type of train start at $23/pp. Sometimes there are also cheap low-cost flights to Shanghai.
What is the most expensive train from Beijing to Shanghai?
- The most expensive train is 1st class train and business seats, ticket for business seat costs about $240-270/pp.
From which railway station trains from Beijing to Shanghai depart?
- Trains from Beijing to Shanghai depart from Beijing South Railway Station (or Langfang – Hebei).
When to book train tickets from Beijing to Shanghai?
- It is highly recommend to book train tickets in advance, it is one of the most frequented railway route in China. Train tickets generally go on sale 28 days before the date of departure of the train. If you are travelling during a peak travel period book train tickets as early as possible.
Types of trains on the route from Beijing to Shanghai:
1. High-speed Train > G-Trains and D-Trains
- G-Trains (Gaotie), D-Trains (Dongche) are the most popular trains in China. These trains are the newest, and totally different from other trains in China regarding speed, facilities and service. G-Trains are the fastest trains in Chian and reach a maximum speed of 380 km/h. Maximum speed of trains in China is designed to be 380 km/h, in reality most G-Trains run a speed of 200 km/h–250 km/h. D-Trains – the second fastest trains in China, for which the prices are cheaper than for G-Trains. Also, they usually run at a speed of 170 km/h–200 km/h.
- Seats in G-train and D-train – seats are classified as first class, second class, business class and superior seats. Some overnight D-Trains are equipped with soft sleepers. There are four bunks in each enclosed compartment. Some deluxe soft-sleeper cars have two bunks in an enclosed compartment. In a first-class cabin, each group of four facing seats side has two big seats with separate tables. In a second-class cabin, seats are similarly arranged, but one side has three seats and the other, two.In a business-class cabin, seats arrangements vary on different trains. On some trains, VIP seats are designed into business class, which are also called sightseeing seats, as they offer a great window view and passengers can clearly see how the driver works. Note that not all G-trains and D-Trains have business-class cabins.
- Service and facilities – G-Trains and D-Trains offer a similar service and facilities for passengers. All the trains are very new and modern with air-conditioning. For trains running over 6 hours, soft sleepers are provided. Clean, western-style washrooms are provided for separate cabins. The trains also depart from and arrive in modern railway stations. Most will stop at only a few stops between two not-so-distant cities, such as trains running between Beijing > Xian, Beijing > Shanghai, Beijing > Tianjin, Shanghai > Hangzhou, and Shanghai > Nanjing. As for other facilities, restaurant cars and canteen bars are offered. Bathrooms are provided hot and cold running water. Handicapped people and passengers with kids can use the toilets specially designed for them.
- T-Trains are short for Tekuai trains in Chinese, which means express trains. Usually these T-Trains run at a top speed of 140 km/h and only stop at a few railway stations that are major transport hubs along the way. A T-Train will take 90 minutes longer than a Z-Train from Beijing to Xian at the same price. T-Trains provide hard and soft seats, and hard and soft sleepers. All T-Trains are air-conditioned.
Book your train tickets or flights from Beijing to Shanghai + schedule:
(you can change your departure and arrival, eg. Beijing > Hangzhou, Shanghai > Beijing…)