- Travel distance from Surat Thani town to Koh Tao is about 150 km from Tapee Pier to Mae Haad pier in Koh Tao. From Surat Thani town to Koh Tao you can travel by speedboat or ferry. Speedboat or ferry is the only way of transport to Koh Tao. Travel time by speedboat/ferry from Surat Thani – Tapee Pier to Koh Tao is about 3.5 hours and boat tickets cost about $31/pp. But you can also travel by bus+boat from Surat Thani International Airport, this option takes about 4 hours and boat ticket costs about $36/pp. Speedboats or ferries arrive to Mae Had pier, it is the main pier of Koh Tao Island, located on the western part of the island. You can also travel to Koh Tao via Koh Samui or Koh Phangan. You can take a boat from Surat Thani to Koh Samui and from Koh Samui to Koh Tao. There are no flights from Surat Thani to Koh Tao, it is not possible to travel by plane, the closest airport is in Koh Samui. You can search and book van/bus+ferry tickets from Surat Thani to Koh Tao online. From Koh Tao you can also travel by boat or ferry to Chumphon town.
From Surat Thani to Koh Tao you can travel by ferry, boat or bus+ferry.
- Koh Tao means Turtle Island, because in the past the local waters were rich in sea turtles, but now the turtles have moved to other islands. Koh Tao has one main road that connects the northern end of Sairee Beach with Chalok Baan Kao in the south. Then a lot of still emerging concrete or clay roads that lead to individual resorts and beaches. These roads require skilled drivers and four-wheel drive cars. Steep ascents and descents, potholes after rains and fallen coconuts here and there really give drivers a hard time. The main and largest beach of the island is Sairee Beach, stretching 1.7 km along the West Coast of the island. It freely connects to Mae Haad, which is the main port where ferries land from the mainland. Clear azure sea, white sand, coconut palms and fantastic pristine beaches will captivate everyone. Koh Tao is very small island and visited mainly by foreign tourists.
- The center of the island is the village of Ban Mae Hat. Sairee Beach is full of life – you will find plenty of restaurants, bars, massage parlors, accommodation resorts and diving centers. If you prefer peace and romance, it is recommended to stay on one of the many smaller and quieter beaches, which are located around the island. Undoubtedly, the island’s attractions include the adjacent islets of Nangyuan, located northwest of Sairee Beach. The island also offers the best diving in the Gulf of Siam thanks to the clear water at reasonable prices. Koh Tao has a wide range of various accommodation, there are mainly beach resorts or bungalows. If you are already in Koh Tao, you should also visit Koh Samui and Koh Phangan. Read carefully the instructions how to get to Koh Tao below.
How do you get from Surat Thani to Koh Tao?
1. Surat Thani to Koh Tao by speedboat or ferry
- from Surat Thani to Koh Tao you can travel by speedboat or ferry
- travel by speedboat or ferry from Surat Thani to Koh Tao takes about 3.5 hours
- ferry/boat ticket from Surat Thani to Koh Tao costs about $31-36/pp (prices may vary by season)
- ferries +boats from Surat Thani to Koh Tao: Lomprayah
- speedboats to Koh Tao depart from: Tapee pier Lomprayah in Surat Thani town
- speedboats arrive to: Mae Haad Koh Tao
- you should book ferry/boat tickets to Koh Tao in advance
- it is recommended to print this boat ticket, come to the departure site 30 minutes before departure
- maximum 20KG luggage allowed per passenger, excess luggage will be charged at 20THB per KG not exceeding 30KG
2. Surat Thani Airport to Koh Tao by bus/van + speedboat
- another way is to travel by bus/van + ferry/boat directly from Surat Thani Airport
- travel by bus/van+boat from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Tao takes about 4 hours
- bus+boat ticket from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Tao costs about $36/pp (prices may vary by season)
- transport companies from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Tao: Lomprayah
- you should book bus/van + ferry/boat tickets in advance
- Book Bus+Ferry Tickets from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Tao online on 12go.asia icon-external-link-square or Baolau icon-external-link-square
- you should book your ferry tickets in advance, it is also recommended to print your tickets
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Travel route from Surat Thani to Koh Tao:
How to book ferry/boat + bus tickets from Surat Thani to Koh Tao?
What is the travel time from Surat Thani to Koh Tao?
- Travel by ferry / speedboat from Surat Thani (Tapee pier) to Koh Tao (Mae Haad) takes about 3.5 hours.
- Travel by bus+speedboat from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Tao takes about 4 hours.
What is the travel distance from Surat Thani to Koh Koh Tao?
- Travel distance from Surat Thani (Tapee pier) to Koh Tao (Mae Haad) by speedboat is about 150 km.
How much does it cost to get from Surat Thani to Koh Tao?
- Travel by speedboat or bus+ferry from Surat Thani to Koh Tao costs about $31-36/pp.
From which pier the speedboats to Koh Tao depart?
- Speedboats or ferries from Surat Thani to Koh Tao depart from Tapee pier in Surat Thani town.
Where you can also travel from Surat Thani?
Is there a train from Surat Thani town to Raja Ferry port in Donsak?
- Raja Ferry port is also an important port, because from this port you can also travel by ferry or boat to these islands. Raja Ferry port is accessible only by tourist bus, minivan or private car/taxi, there is no train because there is no railway station in Donsak – Raja Ferry port.
Is there a flight from Surat Thani to Koh Tao?
- No, Koh Tao has no airport, travel by plane from Surat Thani is not possible. The closest airport is in Koh Samui, but there are no flights from Surat Thani to Koh Samui. There are flights from Bangkok or Krabi to Koh Samui.
Are the ferry/boat e-tickets from Surat Thani to Koh Tao acceptable?
- Some private boat companies accept ferry or boat e-ticket in your smartphone, but still it is recommended to print this boat/ferry ticket. Keep your e-ticket in your smartphone.
How to search and book hotel or resort in Koh Tao?
- Koh Tao has various private beach resorts or hotels, there are cheap and also very expensive resorts.
- Book your resort or hotel in Koh Tao with up to 60% of discount > Book hotel or resort on Koh Tao.
Where you can go if you are already in Surat Thani?
- From Surat Thani you can travel by tourist bus, minivan or private car/taxi to Krabi or Phuket. Krabi is the most popular tourist site in southern Thailand and it is an starting point if you want to visit Koh Phi Phi, there is no railway to Krabi. Read this article > How to go to Krabi from Surat Thani?
icon-arrow-circle-right Book ferry/boat tickets from Surat Thani to Koh Tao + Schedule:
(You can search and book another route, e.g. Surat Thani > Koh Samui, Koh Samui > Koh Tao…)