Information – Mua Caves
How to get to Mua Caves
When to visit Mua Caves
Where to stay there
Faqs + Tips for Mua Caves
Photos of Mua Caves
Mua Caves (Hang Múa) – one of the most attractive tourist places in Ninh Binh.
- Recently, one of the most attractive tourist spots near Hanoi – Ninh Binh and its karst surroundings. There are many beautiful tourist spots around Ninh Binh town, mostly in Trang An Scenic Complex. One of these places in this complex are the Mua Caves (Hang Múa) and its peak/mountain from which is a fascinating view to the nearby surroundings.
- This is one of the most visited places in the area that you should not miss. There are about 500 steps on the 2 peaks and viewpoints. The highest viewpoint is the Lying Dragon Mountain (Núi Ngoạ Long) with its Stone statue of Quan Am (The Goddess of Mercy), this is also a populr selfie spot in Ninh Binh.
Hang Múa (Hang = cave, Múa = dancing) – the name from the old time story.
- Why this place is called Mua Caves? Hang Mua = Dancing cave. The name of this place was taken from a folk tales saying that the King Tran came to Hoa Lu Ancient Capital to establish Thai Vi temple (about 1 km from the Mua Peak), and often went to the cave below the peak to hear the beautiful female singers singing and dancing.
- So the local people called this place Hang Mua (Dancing cave) after this story. Lying Dragon Mountain (Núi Ngoạ Long) – there is a lying dragon on the top of Mua Peak, a popular selfie spot. The stairs are bordered by the imitation of the Great Wall of China.
The best way how to get to Mua Caves (Hang Mua) is to travel by motorbike/bicycle.
- How to get to Mua Caves? Mua Caves are about 100 km from Hanoi and only about 7 km from the Ninh Binh Railway Station. You probably come to Ninh Binh (by bus or train), you can book your bus or train tickets online. The entire neighborhood of Ninh Binh lies in the lowland so it is easy to move there.
- The best way is to rent a motorbike or bicycle, it is a cheap way of transport and travel in this area on your own. You can also take a taxi from Ninh Binh to Mua Caves. The other points of interest near the Mua Caves include Tam Coc, Bich Dong Pagoda, Trang An complex, Hoa Lu. So, it is a good idea to prepare a small itinerary.
1. Travel by motorbike/bicycle in Ninh Binh (the best, cheap option)
2. Travel with a tourist agency from Hanoi
3. Travel by local taxi in Ninh Binh
Book your train / bus tickets from Hanoi to Ninh Binh + Schedule:
(you can change your departure and arrival, eg. Hanoi to Mua Caves, Hanoi to Tam Coc…)
What is the best time to visit Mua Caves (Hang Mua) in Ninh Binh?
- You can visit the Mua Caves – Hang Mua throughout the year. The most beautiful pictures are in the summer or in the period before rice harvesting in the area of Ninh Binh. Opening time of Mua Caves is from 7am – 5pm. Rice harvest season is from September – October, these months are very good for visiting this area.
- Winter time can be very cold and also rainy, so prepare some light warm clothes. Below there is a current weather in Mua Caves/Ninh Binh. Foggy and rainy weather is not a good idea for visitng Mua Peak, the stairs are steep and visibility will be limited.
1. Skip the misty, foggy, rainy weather
2. September > October – Rice harvest season
What about accommodation in Mua Caves? Where to stay in Ninh Binh?
- Ninh Binh and its surroundings offers many accommodation options. You can find there various hotels, resorts, guesthouses, hostels, bungalows and eco-houses. A lot of accommodation is also available in the Trang An Scenic Complex, Tam Coc, but also a short walk to Mua Caves. The advantage is that you are housed within the reach of nature and karst sceneries. Choose from these accommodation options:
Accommodation at the Mua Caves (Hang Mua):
Accommodation in Trang An Scenic Complex:
Accommdation in Tam Coc:
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Mua Caves (Hang Mua) in Ninh Binh:
How to travel from Hanoi to Ninh Binh / Hang Mua?
- Book your bus/train e-tickets from Hanoi to Ninh Binh on Baolau or 12go.asia.
- You can travel by bus or train. There are also some comfortable limousines, vans from Hanoi to Ninh Binh. It takes about 2-3 hours by bus or train and tickets are cheap. You can book also bus/van from Hanoi to Mua Caves on Baolau.
Where are the Mua Caves (Hang Mua)?
- Mua Caves (Hang Mua) are about 100 km from Hanoi in Ninh Binh and about 7 km from Ninh Binh Railway Station. Mua Caves are the part of the Trang An Scenic Complex, one ofthe most visited and amazing tourist places in Ninh Binh.
How to get from Ninh Binh town to Mua Caves?
- The best option is to rent a motorbike or bicycle. You can also take a taxi from Ninh Binh to Mua Caves.
How many steps has the Mua Peak/mountain?
- Mua Peak (Viewpoint) has about 500 steps. Hiking on the Lying Dragon Mountain is quite steep but not so hard.
When is the best time to visit Mua Caves?
- Theoretically, you can visit the Mua Caves throughout the year. The best time to visit Mua Caves is in the summer-autumn months. In September – October there is a harvest rice season in Ninh Binh.
What is the opening time of the Mua Caves?
- The opening time of the Mua Caves (Hang Mua) is Monday to Sunday – 7 am – 17 pm.
Is it possible to stay at the Mua Caves? Is there some accommodation?
- Yes, you can accommodate right at the Mua Caves, eg. you can try Mua Caves Ecolodge (Hang Mua) or Nguyen Shack – Ninh Binh. You will find a lot of accommodation options (local homestays, hotels, bungalows) in Tam Coc, Trang An Scenic Complex, Hoa Lu a few kilometres from Mua Caves and easily accessible by motorbike/bicycle.
How much is the ticket to the Mua Caves?
- Price of the ticket to Mua Caves is about 100 000 VND/pp (4-5 Usd, it can change).
It is necessary to have your tourist guide to Mua Caves?
- No, it is not necessary to have your tourist guide to Mua Caves. A lot of interesting places in Ninh Binh you can visit alone. Rent a motorbike/scooter or bicycle and you can move there very easily.
Is there a parking lot for motorbikes at the Mua Caves?
- Yes, there is a parking lot for motorbikes right at the entrance to the Mua Caves, tickets costs about 10 000 VND (0,5 Usd). There are also some parking lots of local people in front of the entrance of Mua Caves.
It is possible to buy some food at the Mua Caves?
- Yes, at the Mua Caves you can buy some food, snacks, drink… There are various small restaurants of local people in front of the Mua Caves.
Mua Caves (Hang Múa) – Information:
- Location: Ninh Binh (Hoa Lư district) – Vietnam
- How far is it: About 7 km from Ninh Binh town (100 km from Hanoi)
- Ticket: 100 000 VND (about 5 USD, buy tickets at the spot)
- Tourist attraction: Viewpoint, Cave (+Trang An Complex)
- How to get there: Motorbike, Bicycle, Taxi
- How to get from Hanoi to Ninh Binh: Train or bus
- How to get from Hanoi to Trang An: Limousine or minivan
- Opening time: Sun – Sat (6:00 AM – 7:00 PM)