- Sapa – one of the most visited places in northern Vietnam, Lao Cai province and a home of the Black Hmong and Dao ethnic people. Sapa still attracts foreign tourists, but also Vietnamese visit this place. From Sapa you can travel by cable car or you can hike Fansipan – the highest mountain of Vietnam. Sapa also offers a unique opportunity to try local homestay of ethnic people. The most popular villages where you can stay in homestay are located in Muong Hoa valley (Lao Chai, Tavan, Ban Ho…). But a lot of these homestays are already prepared and adapted for foreign tourists. A lot of visitors travel from Hanoi to Sapa, it is a popular travel route, but some people find a way how to get from Ninh Binh to Sapa. There are 2 options how you can get to Sapa from Ninh Binh – by bus or bus+train via Hanoi, there are also private minivans or taxis from Hanoi to Sapa. Sapa has no airport, it is not possible to travel by plane.
- Book your bus or train e-tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa online on Baolau icon-external-link-square
From Ninh Binh to Sapa in Vietnam you can travel by bus or train.
- Travel distance from Ninh Binh to Sapa is about 420 km (by land via Hanoi). You have various ways how to get from Ninh Binh to Sapa in northern Vietnam, but the most favorite are 2 of them. You can travel by tourist bus from Ninh Binh to Sapa, it takes about 8 hours. Bus tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa cost about $18-20/pp. You can also travel by train from Ninh Binh to Lao Cai via Hanoi and in Lao Cai you can travel by local bus or taxi to Sapa. From Hanoi to Lao Cai you can use sleeper trains. Travel by train+bus to Sapa via Hanoi takes about 9-10 hours. Lao Cai is about 30 km from Sapa, it is a border town with China. Now you can book bus or train tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa online. If you are already in Sapa, you can take a bus to Mu Cang Chai and visit this beautiful area of the rice terraces.
How do I get from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
1. BUS from Ninh Binh to Sapa
- from Ninh Binh to Sapa you can travel by tourist sleeper bus
- it takes about 8 hours by bus from Ninh Binh to Sapa
- bus tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa cost about $18-20/pp
- bus company from Ninh Binh to Sapa: The Long Travel (bus from Tam Coc in Ninh Binh)
- Book bus tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa easily on Baolau icon-external-link-square
- you will receive your bus e-ticket to Sapa by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the bus in Ninh Binh or Tam Coc, read carefully instructions before you book your bus tickets to Sapa
2. TRAIN / BUS from Ninh Binh Sapa (stop in Hanoi)
A) TRAIN or BUS from Ninh Binh to Hanoi
- It is very easy to travel from Ninh Binh to Hanoi
- from Ninh Binh to Hanoi you can travel by bus or train
- travel distance from Ninh Binh to Hanoi is only about 80 km
- it takes about 2,5 hours by bus/train from Ninh Binh to Hanoi
- train tickets from Ninh Binh to Hanoi start at $2.80-6 – hard/soft seat
- bus tickets from Ninh Binh to Hanoi start at $5-12/pp
- Book and buy train/bus e-tickets from Ninh Binh to Hanoi on Baolau icon-external-link-square or 12go.asia icon-external-link-square
- you will receive your bus or train e-ticket to Hanoi by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the train in Ninh Binh, read carefully instructions before you book your tickets
B) TRAIN or BUS from Hanoi to Sapa/Lao Cai
- The best way is to use day or night direct bus from Hanoi to Sapa town. One drive takes about 6 hours. Bus stations in Hanoi you will find in the map, see article about Hanoi. Buses depart from Hanoi to Sapa from My Dinh bus station, another private bus companies depart from other places. Prices range from $15-18 per ride from Hanoi to Sapa. You can book and buy bus e-tickets of EcoSapa, Hung Thanh, SapaExpress or TheSinhTourist.
- Lots of travelers go to Sapa with a night train. All the trains go to Lao Cai town (340 km from Hanoi), it is the end station (25 km from Sapa). Trains may be from Vietnam Railways with less comfort (ofic.vietnamese railways) or also trains for tourists (also 2-bed cabin in train), but also more expensive luxury sleeper trains (Orient Express, King Express, Fansipan, Sapaly, Livitrans…). You can search and buy train tickets online. Seat selection available on Baolau, Vietnam Railways may change the orientation of the carriage at the departure station anytime at their convenience.
- Book and buy train/bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Lao Cai or Sapa on Baolau icon-external-link-square or 12go.asia icon-external-link-square
- this is a top travel route from Hanoi to Lao Cai/Sapa – recommended – book your train or bus tickets online!
Vietnam Railways trains – SP1, SP3, SP7, LC3 icon-angle-double-down
- hard or soft seat – price for one-way ticket from 120 000 – 160 000 Viet.dongs / 1 person
- hard bed (6-bed cabin) or soft bed (4-bed cabin) – price for one-way ticket from 270 000 – 400 000 Viet.dongs / 1 person
- SP1 + SP3 = new trains, LC3 = old train, carry-on baggage – 20 kg
- seat selection available on Baolau and 12go.asia
Tourist and private train operators (added to SP1 + SP3) icon-angle-double-down
- Livitrans, Violette Train, Oriental Express, King Express, Sapaly, PV2, Fansipan Express, Victoria Express
- train ticket price about 600 000 – 1 800 000 Viet.dongs / 1 person – soft bed (depend on the type of cabin)
- the best quality and service, 2 or 4-bed cabins, carry-on baggage – 20 kg
- the most deluxe train – Victoria Express Train (price for ticket from 2 500 000 – 3 500 000 Viet.dongs)
icon-angle-double-right For bookings with Royal Railway and private railway companies Victoria Express, Fanxipan Express, King Express, Orient Express, Sapaly Express, Chapa Express and Saigon Golden Train, you will be required to complete the payment before submitting your order. Your reservation will be processed and you will receive a voucher by email to collect the physical ticket at the station before boarding the train.
icon-angle-double-right For bookings with Vietnam Railways and private railway companies Livitrans Express and Violette Train, you will be required to complete the payment before submitting your order. Your reservation will be processed and you will receive your e-ticket by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present when boarding the train.
icon-angle-double-right If you buy bus tickets online on Baolau or 12go.asia, you will receive your e-ticket by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present at the ticket counter of the station before boarding the bus.
Public buses or taxi from Lao Cai town to Sapa:
- If you’re traveling from Hanoi to Sapa with a train >>> All the trains ends in Lao Cai town, 10 km from the Chinese border in northern Vietnam. Trains run throughout the day and many travellers and tourist travel in the evening (20.30 – 22.00 pm). The nigth train arrives to Lao Cai town at about 6.00 am. You must take a public bus or taxi from Lao Cai town to Sapa, lots of tourist buses are waiting outside the train station. Be careful they are overprized. The public bus station is in the center of town, 300 meters from the train station, see the map in the article about Sapa. I recommend to go with a public bus in Lao Cai town and now you can book these bus tickets easily online.
- Book your bus tickets for $ 1.29 from Lao Cai to Sapa icon-external-link-square
Sapa – Map:
What is Baolau?
– Baolau company sells the train, bus, ferry tickets mainly for Vietnam (also a tickets to Cambodia, Laos)
– Baolau offers also a tickets of big bus companies (Mai Linh, Hoang Long, Futabus, Sapa Express, TheSinh Tourist, EcoSapa…)
– flights of Vietnamese Airlines, JetStar, VietJet Air, Air Asia as well as flights to neighbouring countries
– tickets for the ferries in Vietnam, eg. ferry to Cat Ba, ferry to Phu Quoc, Con Dao to Saigon, ferry to Phnom Penh…
– tickets for various routes in Vietnam (eg. Da Lat to Hoi An, Lao Cai to Hanoi, Saigon to Ha Long…)
– the price of tickets or flights is from the official price of transport company or airlines
– you can use online train e-ticket in mobile phone in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– read also frequently asked questions on Baolau, you can select a seat or berth in the train
What is 12go.asia?
– a specialist for bus, train, ferry tickets, flights mainly in Thailand (also Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Laos)
– bus tickets for Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia… (eg. Sapa Express, Mai Linh, Hoang Long, TheSinhTourist, Futabus…)
– ferry/boat tickets in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, eg. ferry to Vung Tau, Koh Chang, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Phangan…
– tickets for the main routes in Thailand, eg: Bangkok to Hua Hin, Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Bangkok to Phuket…
– you can use an online train e-ticket in Vietnam in your phone (not in Thailand)
– if you buy a ticket of private trains in Vietnam to Sapa on 12go.asia or Baolau (Orient Express, Sapaly…), you must pick it up at the station
– you can not use an online train ticket in your mobile phone in Thailand, you have to print it (12go can deliver these train tickets)
– information about 12go.asia read in article about transportation in Vietnam
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Travel route from Ninh Binh to Sapa:
How to book and buy tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
Do you want to book a tour or hike in Sapa?
- You can search for these trips online, you can book a tour / homestay in Sapa with Tourradar.
How long does it take to get from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
- Travel by train+bus from Ninh Binh to Sapa (over Hanoi) takes about 9-10 hours.
- Travel by sleeper bus from Ninh Binh to Sapa takes about 8 hours.
What is the travel distance from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
- Travel distance from Ninh Binh to Sapa is about 420 km by train/bus via Hanoi and about 30 km from Lao Cai to Sapa.
How much does it cost to travel from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
- Travel by train+bus from Ninh Binh to Sapa (over Hanoi) costs about $13+/pp.
- Travel by sleeper bus from Ninh Binh to Sapa costs about $18-19/pp.
What is the fastest way how to get from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
- In this case the fastest way how to reach Sapa from Ninh Binh in Vietnam is to travel by tourist bus. You will save a lot of time, if you skip Hanoi. Because in Hanoi you have to wait for overnight trains to Lao Cai and in Lao Cai you have to take another bus or taxi to Sapa.
Is there a flight from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
- No, there are no flights from Ninh Binh to Sapa or Lao Cai. The only way how to travel is by train or bus. There is no airport in Sapa, in the near future there should be build a new airport in Lao Cai.
Is there a direct train from Ninh Binh to Lao Cai?
- No, there is no direct train from Ninh Binh to Lao Cai. You have to travel by regular train to Hanoi and from Hanoi you have to take another train to Lao Cai. If you want to travel by luxury private train from Hanoi to Lao Cai it is necessary to book train tickets online.
What is the best way of transport from Ninh Binh to Sapa?
- The best way of transport from Ninh Binh to Sapa is to travel by train to Hanoi and by train to Lao Cai, sleeper trains are comfortable. From Lao Cai you can take a local public bus or taxi to Sapa. There are also regular and tourist luxury trains from Hanoi to Lao Cai.
Are there also some private taxis or transfers from Hanoi to Sapa?
- Yes, from Hanoi you can travel by private taxi/vans or minivans to Sapa. It is a good option if you travel by a group of people. Read this article: How to travel from Hanoi to Sapa?
How it is possible to travel from Sapa to Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport?
- It is possible to travel by bus, minivan, private taxi – car and train+bus. Travel time by bus to Noi Bai Airport from Sapa is about 5 hours. Read this article and follow the informations > How do I get to Noi Bai Airport from Sapa?
icon-arrow-circle-right Book your bus + train tickets from Ninh Binh to Sapa + Schedule:
(You can change your departure and arrival, eg. Ninh Binh to Cat Ba, Hanoi to Sapa…)
Hanoi to Ha Giang – Bus icon-angle-double-right