Dai Yem Waterfall – a very attractive place near the town of Moc Chau.
- Moc Chau in Son La province (Muong Sang commune) is not to much visited by foreign tourists. This area is mainly visited by Vietnamese tourists from larger cities. Even so, it offers a number of very interesting and beautiful places from tea plantations to fruit farms, mountains to ethnic villages. For me personally, this area is very interesting, but for deeper exploration you have to travel by motorbike (if you do not have your private carrier).
Dai Yem waterfall is created by the two streams of Vat and Bo Sap.
- One of the most frequented sites near the town of Moc Chau is Dai Yem Waterfall (Thác Dải Yếm), which is located about 10 km from the town of Moc Chau and is easily accessible for almost all travelers. Dai Yem Waterfall in Moc Chau is already a big tourist attraction and if you are already in Moc Chau, you should not miss this place.
Dai Yem Waterfall is a popular tourist destination personalized for travelers.
- Dai Yem Waterfall was not such a tourist attraction as it is now. The place is adapted for commercial tourism and is thus very attractive for many tourists and travelers. Before entering the complex there is a paid parking lot (approx. 10 000 VND) for cars and motorbikes. The entrance fee to the area of Dai Yem Waterfall is approximately 100 000 VND/pp (about 5 USD, it can change). Refreshment prices are low, it is standard for Vietnam.
5d-effects glass bridge attracts many visitors to the waterfall.
- On the place you can buy some tourist souvenirs or refresh yourself with some local food. Tourists are coming here and will be coming in the future, newly there is also installed a 5D-effect glass bridge next to the waterfall, which attracts many visitors and it certainly attracts for selfie :-). Unfortunately, I have no photo of this glass bridge, the bridge started to be built and was opened just after my visit to this place (you can watch this video of the bridge).
How to get to Dai Yem Waterfall? On a motorcycle/scooter, bicycle or taxi.
- Dai Yem waterfall is located about 200 km from Hanoi, but to come there from Hanoi just because of this place probably does not make sense. Therefore, it is good to combine a visit to northern Vietnam from the city of Moc Chau and from the town you can travel on a motorbike / scooter, bicycle (if someone lends you) or catch a taxi from the town. Even a weaker scooter is enough, if you go only in this place, so you will not go to any mountain areas, the place is easily accessible by road and Dai Yem Waterfall is located just off the main road QL43, use your navigation.
From Hanoi to Moc Chau you can travel by van/minivan or bus.
- I do not know if there are any local public buses between the town of Moc Chau and the Dai Yem Waterfall (I doubt it), but I would certainly not rely on the bus connection (it cannot be ruled out that it will change over time), travel on a motorbike and explore this area. If you have more time, I highly recommend. There are buses or minivans from Hanoi Moc Chau, more information below. You can also come to Moc Chau from Son La or Mai Chau by local or tourist bus (but you have to find out the times, but the buses run between cities).
Book your bus tickets or minivan from Hanoi to Moc Chauicon-angle-double-down
(You can change your departure, arrival and date, eg. Hanoi > Ninh Binh, Moc Chau > Hanoi…)
When to visit and travel to Dai Yem Waterfall in Moc Chau?
- You can visit the Dai Yem Waterfall in Moc Chau all year round. The monsoon / summer season is also recommended (it is May – September, unless there are any heavy rains and floods), since at this time the waterfall has the highest flow. But not at a time when there would be any floods, if you can – skip the rainy days and watch the weather before you go on motorbike to the Dai Yem Waterfall.
There is not so hot weather like in another lowland areas of Vietnam.
- It can not be ruled out that outside the monsoon season (October – April, May) the flow may be significantly smaller and thus less water, but even if you are already there in October-December and the weather will be good, go and do not worry. The photos in this article are from October and the weather at Dai Yem Waterfall was perfect to visit and the water quite a bit. Moc Chau area has a better climate than lowland areas of the north of Vietnam.
Where to stay and find accommodation in Moc Chau? Homestay, bungalow?
- Moc Chau in Son La province offers many accommodation facilities. There are a variety of homestays, bungalows, guest houses (Nha Nghi) and in the town also classic hotels. Prices for accommodation in Moc Chau start as elsewhere in the north of Vietnam, prices are low, e.g. from 5 USD (shared hostel, homestay), homestay from about 6-8 USD for shared bed (separate room on homestay from 10 USD), bungalow-cottages from about 10-25 USD, quality hotels can be more expensive. I recommend to stay in Moc Chau town or nearby villages. Below are some very well rated tips for accommodation in Moc Chau.
icon-home Accommodation in Moc Chau (very well rated):
- (Accommodation in Moc Chau you can book easily online)
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Dai Yem Waterfall in Moc Chauicon-angle-double-dow
How to travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau?
- You can search and book bus tickets from Hanoi to Moc Chau on Baolau or 12go.asia.
- There is no train connection and no flights between Moc Chau and Hanoi, so you have to take a bus/minivan (if you do not have your motorbike or a private transfer). Take advantage of the comfortable van of Xuan Trang Limousine or Thanh Chung sleeper bus from Hanoi, ticket price is about 8-11 USD/pp. Travel by sleeper bus or modern minivan/limousine from Hanoi to Moc Chau town takes about 4-5 hours.
- More information about this route> How to go to Moc Chau from Hanoi?
Where is Dai Yem Waterfall?
- Dai Yem Waterfall is located about 10 km from the town of Moc Chau (Son La province, Muong Sang commune). It is located right by the QL43 road in the valley and this place is easily accessible. The area is located between the hills and if you go further in exploring the area and the surrounding area, the terrain will slowly rise.
Is there a railway station in Moc Chau?
- No, there is not a railway station in Moc Chau, the only way how to arrive is to travel by bus or motorbike.
How to travel from Moc Chau town to Dai Yem Waterfall?
- From the town of Moc Chau to Dai Yem Waterfall, you can easily reach by motorbike/scooter, bicycle or private taxi from the town. Easy quality smooth road to the place. Recommneded – explore this are in Moc Chau on a motorbike.
What is the entrance fee to Dai Yem Waterfall?
- Entrance fee to the Dai Yem Waterfall is about 5 USD/pp, parking for a motorcycle/car about 10 000 VND/pp (prices may change in the future).
How big is the Dai Yem Waterfall?
- The height of the Dai Yem Falls is about 50 m, width is about 70 m. The waterfall has 3 floors.
Is it possible to buy food/drink at Dai Yem Waterfall?
- Yes, at the Dai Yem Waterfall you can buy some local snacks and drinks, food.
When to visit Dai Yem Waterfall?
- You can go at any time and month. Monsoon season is recommended due to higher flow (May – September), but it is not 100% rule. If there is a risk of flooding or heavy rain in the area, it is better to choose another more appropriate time, the same is true for many other places in northern Vietnam.
What is the biggest attraction of this place?
- Of course the waterfall itself. Now, however, there is a big 5d-effects glass bridge next to the Dai Yem Waterfall, which attracts many tourists, there are also some fruit trees planted on site.
Is there a parking lot at the Dai Yem Waterfall?
- Yes, there is a parking lot at the Dai Yem Waterfall and it costs about 10 000 VND for motorbike/car. You can search and rent a motorbike in Hanoi (or another city of Vietnam) online with Bikesbooking.
Dai Yem Waterfall (Thác Dải Yếm) – Information:
- Location: Moc Chau (Son La province, Muong Sang commune) – Vietnam
- How far is it: About 10 km from the town (200 km from Hanoi)
- Ticket: About 100 000 VND (about 5 USD)
- Tourist attraction: Waterfall + Glass bridge
- How to get there: Motorbike or Taxi from the town
- Height: 50 m, Width: 70 m
icon-map-marker Travel route from Moc Chau town to Dai Yem Waterfallicon-angle-double-down
(This is the main road to the waterfall – QL43, quality highway and easy way how to get there)
Weather forecast in Moc Chauicon-angle-double-down
(rains and storms, click to icon in the upper right corner and read another informations about weather)
Dai Yem Watefall in Moc Chau – Photosicon-angle-double-down
Book your bus tickets or minivan from Hanoi to Moc Chauicon-angle-double-down
(You can change your departure, arrival and date, eg. Hanoi > Son La, Hanoi > Sapa…)