From Vientiane to Pakse you can travel by bus/van or plane.
- Travel distance of this route from Vientiane to Pakse by land is about 670 km. You can travel by bus,van or minibus or you can use a direct flight from Vientian to Pakse International Airport. Bus tickets from Vientiene to Pakse in Laos cost about $22-33/pp and travel time is about 10-12 hours. Direct flight from Vientiane to Pakse takes about 1.5 hour, it is best and most fastest way of transport between these cities, but it is not a cheap option. Direct flight from Vientiane (Wattay International Airport) to Pakse costs about $75-150/pp. It is not possible to travel by train to Pakse from Vientiane because there is no railway. Pakse is also very important transportation hub, connecting with Bangkok (Thailand) to the west, Da Nang (Vietnam) to the east and Siem, Reap, Phnom Penh (Cambodia) to the south. Book your bus tickets or direct flights from Vientiane to Pakse in Laos easily online. From Pakse you can also travel to Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand, there is a tourist bus to this city.
Pakse is a good place for exploring the southern Laos.
- Pakse is the most important city in southern Laos, the capital of the province of Champasak. It has about 90,000 inhabitants. Located on the left bank of the Mekong River, at the mouth of its tributary, the Se River. Pakse attractions range from French colonial architecture near Xe Don River to pristine Buddhist shrines. A popular thing to do is joining a tourist tour to Wat Phu, a Khmer Hindu temple complex on at the base of mount Phou Khao. The view of the plains from this vantage point is amazing. Pakse restaurants line the banks of Xe Don River, many of which are floating eateries overlooking the city’s many temples. Various hotels or hostels you can find in the city centre. Some restaurants in Pakse operate as bars at the night. Pakse is really good place for visit if you travel to the north of Cambodia or to southern Laos, e.g. by bus/minibus to Don Det and Si Phan Don. Stung Treng Border Crossing Station is about 150 km south of Pakse and there you will find the most visited place – 4000 Thousands Island (Don Det) at the Mekong river. From Don Det you can travel by bus/minibus to Siem Reap in Cambodia.
How do I get from Vientiane to Pakse?
1. BUS from Vientiane to Pakse
- travel by bus, van or minibus takes about 10-12 hours from Vientiane to Pakse (670 km)
- modern, sleeper overnight and comfortable buses (+minibuses, vans)
- bus companies to Pakse from Vientiane: King of bus, Kriangkai Transport, PST Transit Service, Soutchai Travel, Champasak Bus, Chit Prasong
- come to the bus stop at least 30 minutes before departure
- one-way bus ticket from Vientiane to Pakse costs about $22-33/pp
- Book and buy bus e-tickets to Pakse online + schedule on 12go.asia icon-external-link-square or Baolau icon-external-link-square
- you will receive your bus e-ticket to Pakse by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present at the ticket counter of the station before boarding the bus in Vientiane
- read the all information before you book your bus tickets to Pakse
2. FLIGHTS from Vientiane to Pakse
- the fastest and most comfortable way how to get to Pakse
- Wattay International Airport in Vientiane is about 10 km from the city center
- Pakse International Airport is about 5 km from the city center
- it is a little bit more expensive option
- flights from Vientiane to Pakse by Lao Airlines (if you do not find a flight, try different date)
- flight time is only about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Vientiane
- price for one-way direct flight from Vientiane to Pakse about $75-150/pp
- Book your direct flight from Vientiane to Pakse + schedule on Baolau icon-external-link-square
3. TRAIN from Vientiane to Pakse?
- NO, there is no direct train connection from Vientiane to Pakse
- but, propably in the near future there will be a new railway network in Laos (more infos)
Interesting places in Pakse > Wat Phou Temple, Tad Yuang waterfall, Wat Luang, The Night Market, Champasak Provincial Museum, Coffee Farms, Champasak Palace Hotel, Four Thousands Island (about 120 km south of Pakse)…
12go.asia – search and buy tickets, flights online
– search and book train, ferry, bus tickets + flights mainly for Thailand (+tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar..)
– ferry/boat tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand…eg. ferry to Vung Tau, ferry to Koh Samui, Koh Kood, Koh Tao, Koh Phangan…
– tickets for the most frequented railway routes in Thailand – Bangkok > Surat Thani, Bangkok > Kanchanaburi, Bangkok > Chiang Mai..
– you can use your online train ticket in Vietnam in your mobile phone or tablet (not in Thailand)
– if you buy a ticket of private trains in Vietnam to Lao Cai on 12go.asia or Baolau (King Express, Sapaly…), you must pick it up at the station
– if you buy train tickets for Thailand at 12go.asia, you have to pick them in the office: Bangkok (DOB building) or Chiang Mai (Bossotel)
– 12go can deliver these train tickets in Thailand, more information about trains in Thailand
Baolau – search and buy tickets, flights online
– a company specializing in train, bus, ferry tickets and flights mainly for Vietnam (+Cambodia and Laos)
– from 2018 you can book train tickets for China online (Shanghai to Nanjing, Shanghai to Suzhou, Beijing to Shanghai…)
– flights of Vietnamese Airlines, VietJet Air, JetStar Pacific as well as flights to neighbouring countries
– tickets for the ferries in Vietnam (eg. ferry to Phu Quoc, ferry to Cat Ba, ferry to Phnom Penh, Quan Lan…)
– the price of tickets depends on the official price of transport company
– you will see the final price before you make a payment transaction
– acceptable online train e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– you can select a seat or berth in the train, read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
icon-info-circle FAQ + TIPS – Travel route from Vientiane to Pakse:
1️⃣ How to book and buy tickets or flights from Vientiane to Pakse?
2️⃣ How long does it take to get from Vientiane to Pakse?
- Travel by bus from Vientiane to Pakse takes about 10-12 hours.
- Travel by plane (direct flight) from Vientiane to Pakse takes about 1 hour 15 minutes.
3️⃣ What is the travel distance from Vientiane to Pakse?
- Travel distance from Vientiane to Pakse is about 670 km by land.
4️⃣ How much does it cost to travel from Vientiane to Pakse?
- Travel by plane (direct flight) from Vientiane to Pakse costs about $75-150/pp.
- Travel by bus from Vientiane to Pakse costs about $22-33/pp.
5️⃣ What is the best way of transport from Vientiane to Pakse?
- The best way of transport from Vientiane to Pakse is to travel by plane. There are direct flights every day from Vientiane to Pakse. The number of these flights is limited, there about 1-2 flights per a day.
Which bus companies serve this route from Vientiane to Pakse?
- There are various bus companies from Vientiane to Pakse in Laos: King of bus, PST Transit Service, Kriangkai Transport, Soutchai Travel, Champasak.
Is there a train from Vientiane to Pakse?
- No, there is no train from Vientiane to Pakse because there is no railway between these cities in Laos.
Where you can travel from Pakse?
- From Pakse you can travel to Don Det Island in Laos. It is about 150 south of Pakse and there are some local buses or minivans on this route. Read this: How to get from Pakse to Don Det? It is also possible travel by tourist bus to the east of Thailand – Ubon Ratchathani. You can also travel to Phnom Penh in Cambodia.
Bus from Vientiane to Pakse – Schedule + Bus Tickets:
Bus Schedule - Vientiane to Pakse
Departs in Vientiane
Arrival in Pakse
Bus ticket - Price
PST Transit Service
King of Bus
icon-arrow-circle-right Book your bus tickets or flights from Vientiane to Pakse + Schedule:
(You can change your departure, arrival, e.g. Vientiane > Savannakhet, Vientiane > Don Det…)