Dong Hoi – the starting point for exploring Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.
Dong Hoi City (Quang Binh province) is not so famous and visited city like another cities in central Vietnam, for example like Hue or Hoi An. Dong Hoi is in the north of central Vietnam, 500 km south from Hanoi and 150 km north from Hue. But also in Dong Hoi there are also some nice beaches at the ocean. Dong Hoi is the starting point when you want to visit Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park or the largest and world famous cave – Son Doong cave (Sơn Đoòng).
Son Doong is the largest and world famous cave, protected by UNESCO.
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park (45 km from Dong Hoi) offers a lot of activities for tourists and visitors from all the world, it is a more popular place for tourists. For example kayaking, boat tours, exploring the caves and trekking in the nature. Song Doong cave was opened for tourists in 2013 and you can buy eg. 5 days expedition in the price of around 3000-4000 Usd in Oxalis company. In this moment (2017) it is the only operator to bring tourists to Hang En/Son Doong cave. You can also find accommodation around Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park (hotel, homestay, hostel).
1. TRAIN from Hanoi to Dong Hoi 🚆
– trains in Vietnam is quite an interesting experience
– the journey takes about 10 hours
– the trains are comfortable and new, you can buy snack + foods
– see the Vietnam railway map
– one-way ticket from Vietnam Railways costs around 400-500 000 dongs (20 Usd, hard or soft bed)
– train station in Hanoi – Hanoi Railway Station (120 Le Duan)
– train station in Dong Hoi – Đồng Hới Railway Station (tiểu khu 4, Nam Lý)
icon-angle-double-rightbuy train e-tickets online on Baolau or 12go.asia, online payment from abroad is without any problem
2. FLIGHTS from Hanoi to Dong Hoi icon-plane
– the quickest way how to get to Dong Hoi from Hanoi
– one flight of Vietnam Airlines per a day
– Đồng Hới Airport (4 km from the city centre)
– the journey takes about 1,5 hours
– ticket price – about 1,900 000 viet.dongs (Vietnam Airlines)
icon-angle-double-rightbook your flight online on Baolau, online payment from abroad is without any problem
3. BUS from Hanoi to Dong Hoi 🚍
– there are going also some buses from Hanoi, but I recommend to go by a train
– bus companies: Hung Thanh, Hoang Long… (comfortable and modern buses)
– ticket price – about 300 – 450 000 viet.dongs
– the journey takes about 9-10 hours
icon-angle-double-right buy bus e-tickets online on Baolau or 12go.asia
How to get from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park?
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park is about 45 km from Dong Hoi city. You can rent a motorbike in the city or find a taxi or mototaxi. It is also possible to go by bus from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha – read this article on Wikitravel.