Dong Hoi – the starting point for exploring Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.
Dong Hoi City (Quang Binh province) is not so famous and visited city like another cities in central Vietnam, for example like Hue or Hoi An. Dong Hoi is in the north of central Vietnam, 500 km south from Hanoi and 150 km north from Hue. But also in Dong Hoi there are also some nice beaches at the ocean. Dong Hoi is the starting point when you want to visit Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park or the largest and world famous cave – Son Doong cave (Sơn Đoòng).
Son Doong is the largest and world famous cave, protected by UNESCO.
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park (45 km from Dong Hoi) offers a lot of activities for tourists and visitors from all the world, it is a more popular place for tourists. For example kayaking, boat tours, exploring the caves and trekking in the nature. Song Doong cave was opened for tourists in 2013 and you can buy eg. 5 days expedition in the price of around 3000-4000 Usd in Oxalis company. In this moment (2017) it is the only operator to bring tourists to Hang En/Son Doong cave. You can also find accommodation around Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park (hotel, homestay, hostel).
1. TRAIN from Hanoi to Dong Hoi 🚆
– trains in Vietnam is quite an interesting experience
– the journey takes about 10 hours
– the trains are comfortable and new, you can buy snack + foods
– see the Vietnam railway map
– one-way ticket from Vietnam Railways costs around 400-500 000 dongs (20 Usd, hard or soft bed)
– train station in Hanoi – Hanoi Railway Station (120 Le Duan)
– train station in Dong Hoi – Đồng Hới Railway Station (tiểu khu 4, Nam Lý)
icon-angle-double-rightbook and buy train e-tickets from Hanoi to Dong Hoi online on Baolau or 12go.asia
– this is a top travel route from Hanoi to Dong Hoi – recommended – book your train tickets online!
– you will receive your e-ticket by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet
3. BUS from Hanoi to Dong Hoi 🚍
– there are going also some buses from Hanoi, but I recommend to go by a train
– bus companies: Hung Thanh, Hoang Long… (comfortable and modern buses)
– ticket price – about 300 – 450 000 viet.dongs
– the journey takes about 9-10 hours
icon-angle-double-rightbook and buy bus e-tickets from Hanoi to Dong Hoi online on Baolau or 12go.asia
– you will receive your e-ticket by email, ready to print or carry in your mobile phone or tablet and present at the ticket counter of the station before boarding the bus
3. FLIGHTS from Hanoi to Dong Hoi icon-plane
– the quickest way how to get to Dong Hoi from Hanoi
– one flight of Vietnam Airlines per a day
– Đồng Hới Airport (4 km from the city centre)
– the journey takes about 1,5 hours
– ticket price – about 1,900 000 viet.dongs (Vietnam Airlines)
icon-angle-double-rightbook your flight from Hanoi to Dong Hoi online on Baolau
How to get from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park?
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park is about 45 km from Dong Hoi city. You can rent a motorbike in the city or find a taxi or mototaxi. It is also possible to go by bus from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha – read this article on Wikitravel.
What is Baolau?
– Baolau company sells train and bus tickets mainly for Vietnam (+Laos, Cambodia)
– certified company from Singapore – no cheaters and scammers
– you can buy also a tickets of well-known bus companies (Mai Linh, Hoang Long, Hung Thanh…)
– you can select a seat or berth in a train
– flights of Vietnamese Airlines, VietJet Air, Jetstar… as well as flights to neighboring countries
– tickets for the ferries in Vietnam
– the price of tickets or flights is from the official price of transport company or airlines
– online train e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– read also frequently asked questions on Baolau
What is 12go.asia?
– 12go.asia sell train tickets mainly to Thailand (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar)
– it is possible to use an online train e-ticket in Vietnam
– you can select a seat or berth in a train
– you can not use an online train e-ticket in Thailand, you have to print it
– read more inforamtion about trains in Thailand
– if you buy a train ticket at Baolau and 12go.asia for tourist trains in Vietnam (Orient Express, Sapaly, Chapa …), you must pick them at the station
– read an article about transportation in Vietnam and information about 12go.asia
– if you buy train tickets in Thailand over 12go.asia, you have to pick them in the office: Bangkok (DOB building) or Chiang Mai (Bossotel)